CHAPTER 6: HEART STOPPER

XENON WINGATE

3 YEARS AGO

Dragon knights are the most powerful beings of this world. They possess magical and combat capabilities surpassing any combat unit. They are capable of annihilating entire fleets without effort, and it is said that a single dragon knight is worth more than a thousand soldiers. The enemy right in front of us is no exception. As of this moment, we don’t have any chance in defeating the knight and its Chaos Dragon.

The raging sea of dark flames burst out. It has an intense temperature, maybe as high as the solar flares of a sun. If we got ourselves touched even by the hot air surrounding it, we’ll surely be toast. But there is a brave soldier to protect us from attack.

“Rrrah!”

Carlo jumped in front and deployed his tower shield. The shield’s metal unfolded and expanded until it became as wide as the roof of a small house. The enhanced steel of the tower shield was able to withstand the dark flame’s extreme heat, but some parts of the shield melted like cheese.

“We have no chance of defeating a dragon knight!” Alfred shouted.

“Go! Proceed to the extraction point!” Carlo shouted back. “I’ll hold this dragon off!”

“But Carlo-”

“Just go!” Carlo shouted.

Suddenly, a brand new wave of dark flames approached. The Chaos Dragon blew smoke-like fire from its mouth with a more powerful pressure than before. Carlo went all out this time, deploying his full juggernaut armor in the hope of lasting a few more seconds in the sea of flames.

“Guh…” Carlo exhaled smoke from his mouth due to exhaustion. “Just… go…”

“We’ll come back to you! Don’t die a virgin, piece shit!” Alfred said in an imperative tone.

“Roger, captain stinky.” Carlo laughed.

Alfred tapped my shoulder, signaling that we should go and leave him. I’m quite hesitant at first, but Carlo is an impressive tank. I don’t know how much longer he could last with a Chaos Dragon’s flames, but I’m sure he’ll find a way out of this alive.

So I decided to escape without him.

As we ran away, I watched the battle between a dragon knight and a precious friend. With his full body armor, Carlo the Juggernaut charged forward with his tower shield, making a powerful blow on the dragon’s face.

“Graaah!!!”

The dragon flinched as a result, but the knight didn’t just stand there; he leaped towards Carlo and skewered his tower shield with his cone-tipped lance, which immediately shattered the metal barrier to pieces. The lance also pierced Carlo’s stomach as a result.

I saw Carlo spitting out blood from his mouth and his holed stomach.

“N-No, Carlo is…” My mouth trembled. I halted on running and grabbed my other friend’s attention. “Alfred!”

“Focus on escaping, piece shit!” Alfred cried. “We have to run! We have to run! Or else Carlo’s sacrifice will be…”

Alfred failed to finish his sentence. He just continues to run away. I don’t have any choice but to follow him. He’s right. We have to run, or else Carlo’s sacrifice will be in vain. We never anticipated a dragon knight to ambush us, and it’s considered to be a miracle if only one of us died in encountering one. Most people who encounter a hostile dragon knight never live long enough to tell the tale.