CHAPTER 35: CHAIN OF VENGEANCE

XENON WINGATE

2 ½ YEARS AGO

It gets me every freaking time. Whenever I hear the name Michael Eldritch from other’s mouths, I couldn’t help but ignite the burning desire for revenge towards that man. It doesn’t matter who says it, whether it’s an enemy, a friend, or even Serena.

My unwanted visitor; Lothar Pendragon sat on the empty bed. I sat on the other bed where Serena is situated. My dragonoid seemed to be sound asleep as she’s not responding to the noise of the serious conversation between us two Elysian soldiers.

“I thought you were dead, Xenon Wingate,” Lothar muttered. “The news said that you were executed for your treason and betrayal to your friends.”

“I’m not a traitor.” I clenched my fists. “Eldritch framed me. He made me his errand boy and after he got what he wanted, he killed my friends. He killed me. And he stole my love from me. And he dishonored my name.”

“I don’t have the means to believe you, Sir Wingate. You served Alterra, so you are still a traitor.” Lothar crossed his arms as he continued his cold glare. “But I suppose that gives me valuable information about the best friend you once had.”

“Lothar Pendragon…” I muttered the name of the dragonoid. “You know very well that we are enemies. Why did you help us earlier? How did you know that there’s a remnant of Arcadia that is plotting to kill Serena?”

“I didn’t do it to save your dragonoid. I helped you because I hated Arcadia. They are the ones who burned Kirina while she’s asleep. I am on the side of my wife’s justice, nothing more, nothing less.” Lothar slightly leaned back as he made a soft sigh. “Let’s go back to the main topic at hand. You know what Emperor Michael Eldritch is after, right?”

“World domination.” I laughed. “That silly bastard even have Doctor Cheng Du as his sponsor.”

“You are wrong.”

My eyes opened when Lothar outrightly denied my claim. I was fully speechless when I realized that there are some truths to his words.

“Michael Eldritch’s plan is for world peace.” Lothar continued. “World domination is just a process. His long term goal is to end all the suffering in the world. He plans on uniting all human empires back to one and make the lone empire stand for justice and freedom for humans and even dragonoids. He’s dreaming of a utopia.”

He’s right. Lothar Pendragon is right. Partly. Before his betrayal on me in Vanilla City War, I always see Michael Eldritch as the ideal politician who will succeed after his father’s reign. I saw his equal kindness to people. I saw his saint-like attitude toward everyone. I saw how he enacts his true ideals to his subjects back when he’s still a prince. If only he didn’t kill me and my friends and if only he didn’t steal Marisse from me, I’m sure we’ll still be good friends right now.

“But that’s not the case here.” I bowed as I whispered. “He’s doing unconventional means to achieve his greatest dream. He’s leaving a river of blood behind and still claims that he is clean.”

Lothar’s eyes opened wide when he heard me. He made a slight smile as he talked. “It seems that you know him very well. You are right. He is having his hands dirty all the time. Yet you should know better than anyone that he is doing this for the better world. He is a man of selfless ambitions.”

I don’t intend to argue to an adult man even though he’s completely wrong. I would just be wasting my saliva if I deny his claim. Having a loyal soldier of Elysia sitting here on my room is enough for me to be pissed.