9. Feeling Fire

Soon a dilapidated farmhouse came into view and we all slowed our horses around it. I jumped off of my pony, walking around the partially destroyed house. Once out of sight of the dwarves, I leaned against a stable beam of the house and closed my eyes, breathing in and out as I stretched my senses, feeling out into the forest to see the emotions of the animals out there.

I frowned, opening my eyes as I felt very little, some feelings of fear for smaller, hidden creatures but nothing big, that isn't normal at all. I looked to my left to see Gandalf leaning around the building to be able to see me. I frowned to show him I didn't like it here, something was wrong. He slowly nodded before vanishing around the building itself as I remained leaning against the beam, peeking through a break in the planks to watch the conversation unfold.

Thorin walked into the house, Gandalf following behind him. "We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them." Thorin said, giving out orders as the others began unloading their packs.

Gandalf inspected the house while I petted Fairfin on my shoulder for comfort, watching through the hole. "A farmer and his family used to live here."

"Oin, Gloin." Thorin said, either ignoring or not hearing Gandalf's words.

Oin spoke up, "Aye?"

"Get the fire going." Thorin said.

"Right you are." Gloin replied, walking off for wood.

Gandalf spoke exactly what I wanted to, "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden valley." I eyes brightened slightly, imagining the beautiful valley in which I grew up, a place of brilliant green foliage and bright flower, magnificent trees and elf architecture. I could visit Lord Elrond and Maerwen, the elf lady who raised me. I miss her at times, while I never considered her mother, I definitely saw her like an aunt, one who cared for me so much as a child, even when I was hard to handle.

And I know I was, with my love for weapons and lack of love for dresses and pretty things.

Thorin seemed adamantly opposed to Gandalf's offer though, "But I've told you already. I will not go near that place." Thorin growled.

Gandalf argued his point, "Why not? The Elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice." Thorin growled, making me glare at him. He really covers himself in many different layers of grumpiness, such that I was tempted to walk around this building and sock him in the face. I had a feeling my want to punch him was going to become a common temptation. I yet again resisted the urge, knowing the dwarves would not like me punching their leader.

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us." Gandalf pointed out the facts.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father." Thorin said angrily. While I do understand Thorin's anger, it doesn't mean it applies to the elves of Rivendell, but I wouldn't put it past the elves of Mirkwood. I never liked Thranduil. The one time I met the elf I just about hated him. I was young then, but I was quite happy to trod mud on his robe on purpose.

I was quite rebellious.

Gandalf seemed to be getting quite frustrated, from what I could see from where I was standing, "You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past." Gandalf said sternly.

"I did not know they were yours to keep." Thorin nearly growled, glaring up at Gandalf. Stubborn and rude dwarf, that temptation to hit you is getting worse and I am getting more and more tempted to act on that urge.