-64

Luz's POV;

"Good morning, your high Empress." I hummed, closing the door behind me before bowing to offer my services to her for the day.

"Good morning to you as well, Archduke Noceda."

I felt a trickle of sweat on the corner of my face when I saw her handle paper after paper in both hands.

They all seem like old files.

Is she busy looking through old files of Belos??

"Your high Empress? Is there anything I can help you with today?" I asked as I walked over to stand close to her desk.

She chuckled but the irritation of her work was there.

"Nothing much, I'm just running my hands through the former Emperor's financial findings from years ago and up to when he retired." She said before squinting her eyes down at another paper.

Oh... She's really busy.

I wanna help her though, is there a way to help her?

"Hoot."

I perked up and looked over to see that Owlbert had landed on her desk.

It sent a strong shiver behind my back.

What the hell is he even doing!??

I knew I shouldn't have brought him with me to work!!

"Hoot."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH--Stop acting cute in front of her when she's working!!! My death sentence is probably grinning behind my back because of that!!!

"Owlbert?"

I perked up.

Huh? Does she remember Owlbert?

"My, my, and what brings you here?" Suddenly, she lowered the papers in her hand down and began petting him.

Did he just distract her like that?

Still, though, she's smiling so... Cutely now, I don't even want to grab him away from her to help her get back to her work.

I'm good with my math so I think I can handle her work.

"Your high Empress, would you like me to finish your work?" I asked with a smile.

She chuckled and said, "no, no, it's fine."

"Nonsense, I insist." I assured her.

After a while of persuading, she gave in. Finally! Something I can help her with!!

...

After I finished with work, I stood up and offered them to her.

She smiled taking them.

"I hope Owlbert hasn't bothered you too much." I chuckled as this little bugger came flying back over to my shoulder.

Sheesh, you need to behave if you want to come with me to work, you damn bugger!

"No, no, he didn't bother. The last time I saw him, he brought me a ring and then left. I'm wearing it today as well."

I perked up when she raised one of her hands.

My face went red.

"I'm not sure where he got this ring but it was lovely so I kept it until now. It's been three years since he gave this to me."

I heard everything she said but the damn ring... Oh, no... Please, stop wearing that.

"Please, stop wearing that."

I covered half of my flushed face and kept my eyes glued to the floor.

My eyes felt a little teary but not enough to make me cry even a bit.