Chapter 493 (October 23, 2020)

With Will and Natalie at their apartment.

Natalie's POV: As I stood in the kitchen before work, I couldn't help but think about Matt and Gabby. Especially Gabby. Being a war widow, I understood what it was like to have somebody die in the line of duty. Matt was shot and almost died. I felt really bad for her and really wanted to be there for her as a friend. I was just hoping that I could clear Matt to go home today.

That's when I felt Will walk up behind me and wrap his arms around my waist. "Somebody was out of bed early today." I felt him kiss my shoulder before rubbing my waist. "Need to talk before Owen gets up or is this a patient thing?" I turned to look at him and sighed. "It's about Matt. He and Gabby just can't get a break. I feel so bad for them. Yet, here we are celebrating us being..."

Will knew where I was going with my sentence and nodded. "Do you think we are showing too much PDA at work?" I grabbed his hand and sighed. "Will, I love you and want to be your wife but...I just need a bit of space right now. Seeing what happened to Matt is bringing back some memories about how I felt when Jeff died in Afghanistan. I hope you understand."

Will nodded and then stepped close to me, kissing my forehead. "I understand. Just know that I am here to talk. Did you already wake Owen up or do you want me to do that?" I looked at him. "He's already gone. He left with his grandmother this morning we are running a little late. Well, you are. You slept in and I needed the time to think for a bit." Will nodded and smiled.

"Okay, well let's eat and then we can head to the hospital. I want to clear them to go home. They have spent enough time at the hospital and deserve to recover at home together." I agreed and nodded before going to kiss him softly. "Can you pack up my work bag for me then and I'll finish breakfast?" Will nodded and smiled before walking away to pack up my bags.

Meanwhile, I turned back around to finish breakfast for me and Will so we could head to work and clear Matt. I just hoped that Maggie got those scans done already before we got there. Either that or I hope she is doing them right now.