Chapter 506

Matt's POV: As I walk into the firehouse with Gabby and Matteo, I sigh as I walk past Engine 51 and put my hand on it. "You've been a faithful ride." Gabby rubbed my arm and sighed while helping me past the pain. That's when we heard everybody walk out a bit happy. "Hey! How are you guys?" I turned to look at Severide and bit my lip. "Guys, can you guys go get everybody in the mess hall? I need to talk to Chief. Then, me and Gabby have an announcement."

Severide looked at me and then turned to look at everybody else. I then looked at Gabby. "Gabby, I'm going to tell him first okay? He's my best friend." Gabby nodded and rubbed my arm. "I'll get Chief and tell him we need to talk." I nodded and smiled, watching her walk away. I then sighed and looked at Severide. "What's up man?" I just looked down. "You might want to stop smoking those Cigars or else you'll be in my shoes in a few years."

Severide looked at me confused. "What's wrong man?" I bit my lip and sighed. "I talked to the doctors today before I left. They told me in a few weeks they could clear me for Ambulance." Severide nodded. "That's good right? What about truck?" That's when it got harder. "They told me that my lungs are Code Orange." He saw me cry and then came to hug me. "God, that must be hard." I nodded and sighed.

"That means, my career here is over as a fireman." I then went to sit on the back of the truck. "And so does my dream of being Captain Casey and Lieutenant Casey with Matteo. All because of a stupid bad fire." Severide nodded and then rubbed my arm. "Listen man, you should go talk to Boden. He needs to know this so that he can figure stuff out for you. Tell him first and we can talk to everybody else after. I will keep my mouth shut. Not my news to tell."

I nodded and sighed before hugging him one last time. I then made my way inside the firehouse to go talk to Chief and give him some bad news.