Chapter 102

The next morning Aaron wakes and glances down at Aph. She's still tucked against his side and he doesn't even think either of them moved once in their sleep.

He hates to leave her but after losing her dinner last night he knows she's going to be starving when she wakes up. So, he carefully climbs out of bed, pushes his pillow against her to fill his spot, and heads downstairs.

The second he reaches the bottom step he can hear multiple voices coming from the kitchen. He stops as he watches Melissa, Garroth, Zane, and Rowan move around the island fixing pancakes, bacon, sausage, hash browns, and fresh mixed fruit.

Rowan glances up and nods in welcome. "How's she doing son?"

Aaron sighs, "She slept well but I won't know until she wakes up. It's good you already have breakfast because she's going to be starving when she gets up. We had a little incident on the way home."

Everyone stops and Zane frowns, "What kind of incident? You didn't yell at her did you?"

Aaron glares at Zane, "No I did not yell at her. We had a couple of guys stop us and well, they tried to rob us."

Melissa starts to take a step toward him but stops. She knows he wouldn't appreciate her being too worried for him. "Is she alright?"

Aaron rolls his eyes, "The little warrior is fine as far as I can tell.  I told her to hand them my wallet and phone since I was carrying her. They can be replaced easily enough, she can't."

Zane nods, "Understandable but Aaron you're a werewolf. You could have taken them. I mean you beat the crap out of Ein at the lodge."

Aaron glares at Zane again, "Aph said the same damn thing. Sure I could have defended us but they could have also hurt her the moment I put her down just like Ein. I wasn't willing to take that chance. Anyway, the thieves had a couple of knives and Aph got upset that I was giving in so easily so she kind of took it into her own hands."

Rowan smiles, "Really? What'd she do?"

Aaron shakes his head, "Well, first she made me put her down, and then she went all Irene on them and summoned this wicked-looking white sword. I admit the look on their faces was priceless. But then they ran off, the excitement and adrenaline wore off and Aph tossed her cookies. I was going to fix her some soup when we got back but she fell asleep and I didn't have the heart to wake her. She's not Irene guys. Using magic will take its toll on her and I don't want to see what happens when it does."

Zane frowns, "What do you mean she went all Irene on them?"

Aaron sighs, "Her eyes turned white and for a moment she acted like nothing was wrong with her. She's going to burn herself out."

Rowan sighs, "I know how you feel son but it's a part of her and you can't make her decisions for her. All that will do is drive her away. She's a smart girl so let her do what she needs to do and be there for her if things go wrong."

Aaron growls under his breath in frustration. All he wants to do is protect her but he knows she hates feeling weak.

While they continue fixing breakfast he loses himself in thought and flinches when he feels arms wrap around him from behind and someone's head push against his back. Without breaking the connection he turns to face Aph and smiles down at her.

She smiles back up at him and they both laugh as they listen to her stomach growl. "Good morning Aaron. It smells so good down here and I'm starving."

Aaron smiles down at her, "I would never guess."