Chapter 156

Sylvanna laughs behind her, "I think I'll leave you two alone so you can have a few minutes of peace."

As the door closes behind her Aph pushes to her feet and crosses over to the sink to rinse her mouth out. When she glances up into the mirror she studies her face and notices the dark circles under her eyes, the fine sheen of sweat on her forehead, and the overall look of exhaustion in her eyes. Does she always look like this?

She looks up until she meets Aaron in the mirror and sighs, "Do I always look like crap? I can't afford morning sickness, Aaron. I can barely keep up as it is."

She feels his hands rest on her shoulders as he gently smiles at her. "You look beautiful. You're having to adjust to a lot of changes, it's only natural to look and feel exhausted. Give it time Babe."

Thanks to her super hearing she can hear everyone talking in the other room and has the strong urge to escape. She glances over at the window and laughs, "You think we could go out the window?"

Aaron shakes his head at her, "Everyone knows now and it's probably best to get it over with. Come on, I'll fix you some toast and oatmeal."

She doesn't want to admit she's afraid to leave the bathroom. She can feel her heart beating hard just thinking of it.

One, just thinking of the different smells makes her stomach churn. She really doesn't want to get sick again. Two, she panicked with only a handful of people upstairs. Will she have to silence the whole house?

She feels Aaron tug on her shoulders a little and sighs in defeat. Aaron offers to lead the way to give her a shield to stand behind and she gratefully accepts it.

When they step back into the kitchen she's amazed to find that not only is everyone gone but instead of smelling bacon, eggs, pancakes, and sausage she smells something minty. She circles around the kitchen island and climbs up onto one of the stools as Melissa places a plate of buttered toast and a bowl of oatmeal with bananas in front of her.

Inhaling deeply she glances around the room and frowns at Melissa, "Where'd everyone go, and what is that amazing smell?"

Sylvanna sits beside her and pats the top of her hand, "Smells like lavender, peppermint, ginger, and spearmint help with nausea. Melissa said werewolves are allergic to lavender so Lucinda used a spell to freshen the air for you. I also told them if they valued their ability to talk they might want to leave before you came out of the bathroom."

Aph shoots her mother a horrified look, "Mother! Why would you say that to them? I appreciate what you did for me but please don't terrify my friends."

Sylvanna shakes her head, "Because you just threatened everyone upstairs with the quiet game. Besides, I knew you needed time and they all understood. That doesn't mean it will hold them off for too long, but maybe just long enough."

She picks up her spoon and absentmindedly begins to stir the oatmeal. She takes a small bite to test her stomach and when nothing surprising happens she practically inhales it. She wastes no time eating her toast and washes it all down with a glass of apple juice.

Her stomach feels satisfied for now but she doubts it will last too long. She pushes her plate and bowl across the counter toward Melissa and smiles. "That was great. Is there more?"