Chapter 29 : Moon-Light

I tried to think about everything else than how we both had to act earlier. How we had to act like two strangers. How his mood switched from the adorable boy that comforted me to the silent and impassible one he used to be. The side everyone saw. The side that I couldn't recognize anymore.

I arrived home around 6PM, and saw how Hino's greeting was tinted by deception. Maybe seeing Father scolding me was something he used to enjoy ? That wouldn't be a surprise...

I directly went to my room, not seeing a single maid at home. Of course Prima wasn't home, knowing we'll have dinner at the Gala but I didn't see Father on my way. But, as soon as I opened my bedroom, I saw a beautiful navy blue dress laying on my bed with jewellery.

Unfortunately, he didn't forget that I have to come with him tonight.

The BI's Gala, celebrating BI's fondation 150 years earlier by my great-grandfather, Daphnes Bosphoramus. Each year's the same old story : long speech, fake smiles and all those businessmen praising Father and wishing me to be as good as him when I'll takethe lead.

So boring.

I slowly touched the fabric of the dress, and got surprised by its sweetness. It seemed pretty simple for first, and even the necklace was not too fancy. Fortunately. I knew I would never feel comfortable if it was too provocative or too short.

And of course Father would never let me wear something like that, knowing we would be surronded by too many young men.

Whatever, I let it on my bed and went to my bathroom, ready to have a long shower. I hoped the hot water would clean my thoughts, constantly repetiting the same questions. 'Should we keep acting like two stangers together ?', 'Is he really happy by doing sports ?', 'How long Blight will replace Pr. Levias ?', and of course : '23 or 24 ?'.

Link was right, I should verify on Internet.

I wrapped my body in a towel and blew my hair before braiding them with my two usual braids and applied a light touch of make-up. Concealer, blush, highliter, eyeliner and mascara for a fresh-faced look.

But that terrible question was still running in my mind. 23 or 24 ? And I had enough, so I grabbed my phone and search 'The Origin of Species' on Internet.

November 24th, 1859. I was right for the year, but I hope I picked up the right date. Well, at least I'll remember it.

I felt like someone removed the rock that was crushing my chest. That was so much better now without that doubt in my head.

But there was still something else. The Gala.

I put the dress on me, not feeling comfortable in it. It was a long navy blue split dress, allowing everyone in the crowd to see my right tigh if I dared to move, with a plunging neckline and two laces crossed behind my bare back. And if that was already terrible for me to breathe because of my nervosity, the fitted waist that caught me in a vice made it even harder.

I couldn't help but touch the skirt, trying to make it a bit longer or to find a way to hide my right leg behind its two parts. And, to complete this nightmare, Father bought me a necklace. It could've been cute knowing it was a little chain with one diamond, if it wasn't standing in the middle of my chest. An eye-catcher on my breasts.

I looked at me in the mirror and I didn't recognize my own reflection. I wasn't used to wear that kind of dresses. It was too outrageous, too fancy for me and I felt like I wasn't able to wear it without being completely ridiculous. And tears started to fill my eyes.