Chapter 6: The Undercroft

Victoria

Highwing landed at the same place we had mounted her. I could feel my hands shaking slightly as I let go of Poppy's waist. We both slid off the creatures back and I made my way to the front of her and bowed.

Best to give the creature the proper respect, she did just allow me to ride her after all.

She took a running start and took off again. Her pure white form being one to admire as she grew smaller and smaller and eventually disappeared from view.

"Magnificent isn't she?" Poppy asked as I finally turned my gaze back to her.

"H-How did you meet a Hippogriff?" I asked, still a bit shaken from the entire encounter.

The ride had been insanely thrilling. It was completely different than flying on a broom. The feeling of Highwing's breathing beneath me and the way she had all the control. It was just amazing! I was so pleased to have been part of it.

"It's a long story. And one for a different time." Poppy said giggling at me. "Come on, let's go get some food. I'm starved" she said and took my hand. Her gentle tugs leading me towards the school castle.

Several students were outdoors today, enjoying the amazing weather. Some reading in the lush grass, others having picnics, and some were getting in some spell practice.

As we walked into the dining hall a familiar ginger boy stood in front of us giving a deep bow to the girl next to me.

"Good evening Ms. Sweeting" Leander Prewett said taking the girls hand and placing a kiss on her palm. Poppy let out a high pitched giggle as I tightened my grip on her hand.

I'd never been too fond of Leander, he seemed like nothing more than a bully to me. Causing fights and acting like he was the 'bravest of all' since he'd been put in Gryffindor. But in reality, I'd seen him back away from fights the second they start escalating.

"Good evening Leander" Poppy said causing me to roll my eyes.

"Would you ladies like to join me for late lunch? The Gryffindor table would be happy to welcome you." He said, his eyes never straying from my friend.

Before I could say anything Poppy was already nodding and pulling me over to the red table.

Crossing tables definitely wasn't abnormal, except of course at dinner while everyone was ment to sit with their housemates. This was also, the only time professors dined in the hall with us.

However, I typically stuck to my table. Even the glares of my brainwashed housemates seemed better than being around the other houses.

I tried my best to act interested in the conversation between Leander and Poppy, but him telling her about his 'adventures' while I was sitting next to her felt fake.

He spoke of how he conquered a dugbog by the black lake and I tried to stifle my laughter knowing the ones near campus were tadpoles compared to the ones I'd faced.

The large oak doors opened and I saw a duo wearing green robes entered through the massive front doors.

Ominis had brown smudges all around his mouth and Sebastian had a red mark on his forehead that I would have paid to know the reason for.

I quickly turned my face to my plate. The fish and vegetables that the house elves had made suddenly appeared very interesting compared to the rest of the room.

The boys sat directly in front of me. Their attention on each other as they laughed and gave each other friendly punches. "I swear you cheated Ominis. I'm sure I'll beat you one of these days." Sebastian laughed and handed Ominis a rag, encouraging him to wipe, what was apparently chocolate frog, off his face.