Chapter 59: Rehearsal

Benji

The small house elf held tightly onto my hand as he led me to the far side of Herondale Halls grounds.

I had been invited in order to go over how I was meant to act on the day of the ball. Escorting the hosts child does come with a few expectations.

As I'd arrived on the grounds I was informed that neither my date, nor their twin, nor any of the other escorts were in the mansion.

I was being led their now, my eyes seeing a rather pitiful shell of what was once a home, shouting erupting from it.

"Zero has brought Benji Hills to meet Master Val and Mistress Althea. Zero will now head back to the mansion to continue preparing dinner." He said before letting go of my hand and giving a sharp snap, his small form disappearing in a black flurry.

I took a deep breath as I moved forward, taking a rickety ladder to join the individuals who watched whatever was happening inside.

"My lion!" The familiar head of purple appeared over me, his preferred form smiling down at me as I made my way up the last three rungs.

"You could have mentioned you'd changed the meeting place." I joked as I pulled them into my arms.

I would of course never tell them this, but I loved their male form so much better than their female one. This was the person I fell in love with after all. Purple haired, tall, handsome.

That's not to say I didn't like the female version. She looked pretty that way of course. But she looked like her sisters and mom, like an actual Herondale.

It was much easier to see them like this, the person I knew was good and kind.

"Althea's just letting off a bit of energy. She's...." He took a look behind him at the two blonds who stood watching over what was going on. "... a bit wound up." He said.

I followed his gaze to quickly recognize the two Gaunt siblings.

Metis Gaunt, the youngest and only girl of the siblings. She was extremely pale and short, her straight blonde hair falling to her lower back as she leaned forward on the metal banister in front of her.

She wore her Hogwarts uniform still, the green colors of my rival house being held with pride as they not only showed her school, but her ancestry.

She was the one I'd been instructed to prank earlier in the year as payment for Ominis and I's little fake relationship.

Good to see her hair was no longer bright pink.

Then of course Mattheo Gaunt. He was the same age as Nathan yet of course far smarter than the Herondale.

Mattheo had what I would refer to as shaggy hair. Not quite long enough to put up, yet just long enough that it would be in the way if not styled. So of course it was always worn slightly slicked back.

He was currently dressed in a three piece pinstriped back suit, wearing additional coats on top to ensure their warmth in the ending winter.

Mattheo was a man of strategy. He'd been completely undefeated in wizards chess, Gobstones, and a number of other odd games in his time at Hogwarts, having apparently known ten steps ahead of his opponent before they'd even moved their first piece.

"That's one word for it." Mattheo laughed, shaking me back into reality as I stepped forward looking down into the open center of the ruins.

Two figures, holding up long thin goblin silver swords, dressed completely inappropriate for the activity they were practicing.