Chapter 46: I Imagine We Could Learn

Sebastian

When we arrived back at the cottage Victoria remained glued to me the entire time. Not even acknowledging Ominis at all when he tried to speak with her.

Anne was nonstop apologizing for her part in the whole thing. Victoria repeatedly offered her a kind smile. "You didn't know. I don't blame you whatsoever" she would say softly.

Both girls ended up playing different games with each other as the day passed on. Gobstones, chess, at one point Anne even offered to teach Victoria how to knit.

When it came time to prep dinner I was up in an instant. Taking my typical job of peeling and chopping the veggies to get them ready for the cooking process.

Victoria placed herself next to me and attempted to help. She fumbled repeatedly, clearly not having been raised to cook anything but potions.

Dinner was amazing. Everyone eating and talking about the new gifts they had received and how excited they were to use them.

Ominis again kept attempting to speak to Victoria asking several times to even speak with her privately. She sat on my right side keeping silent towards him as she reached out with her left hand to touch mine under the table.

Luckily I'm left handed. So I was able to let our pinkies lock, offering her a bit of comfort as he evening continued.

Anne and Solomon tucked in early for the night due to the large meal, as they had every year since we'd all been living together.

Victoria clearly was fighting off sleep as she leaned against the wall behind her. Ominis sitting silently on the other side of me.

"Close your eyes" I said with a soft chuckle as I watched her pick her head up again from the wall and force her eyes open again.

"I'm not tired" she said as her eyelids began to droop again. I chuckled and wrapped a hand around her shoulder allowing her to rest her head on my chest.

"Close your eyes." I repeated feeling her gently shake her head no. But as I glanced down at her she was already obeying. She shut them finally, her soft breathing signaling her rest.

'Good girl.' I thought to myself. Knowing better than to say something like that with the train wreck of emotions sitting at my other side.

"She's never going to forgive me is she?" Ominis mumbled as he heard her finally fall asleep. His voice sounding strained and raspy as he spoke.

"Never is a very strong word. She's still wearing your bracelet. Although a niffler attempted to snag it from her. I'd take that as a win, especially since she shattered the necklace I gave her during our last fight.

I just don't understand why you did what you did. Anything you did.

Kissing my sister, accusing her of cheating, hell even your gift to her was like you were trying to hurt her as badly as you could. None of that is like you." I said looking over at my friend.

"I don't know what's been happening to me. I've had these voices for the past two weeks. They've been tormenting me. Whispering about all of the ways you must me touching her while you two were alone.

They were easy to ignore at first but then they felt logical. She would shower before she came to bed at night like she was hiding something. She seemed excited to go to detention with you. And you of course have your own track record." He said.

"None of those girls were dating my best friend Ominis. I never would do anything like that to you." I said.

Victoria let out a small unhappy sound. Clearly a bit uncomfortable with the position she found herself sleeping in.