Chapter 33: Drowning In Thoughts

Ominis

On Sunday evening, I made my way down the main staircase before hearing the familiar feminine voice calling my name out.

"Hello Ms. Sweeting. What can I do for you this evening?" I asked as I heard her footsteps approaching me.

"Victoria asked me to give you this." She said. I held my hand out to her and she placed in it a folded letter.

I couldn't help but smile. "She needs to get an owl." I said and Poppy giggled. "That was all. I hope you have a wonderful day Mr. Gaunt" she said before her small footsteps made their exit.

I unfolded the letter and felt it's surface. Victoria already having casted my little charm on it so I could read the braille on it's surface.

Ominis,

Please meet Sebastian in my place at lower Hogsfield. I will be attending the second trial with Professor Fig today and can't afford anymore distractions.

With Love, Victoria

I smiled at the last three words. Her love being the only reward I needed for running this errand for her.

Victoria while seeming alright with what had happened at the afterparty had said she needed a bit of time to herself. Clearly still a bit unnerved at her intoxicated actions.

I couldn't lie it made me a bit uncomfortable remembering I'd done all of that with Sebastian there as well. Remembering that every sound wasn't just caused by me but by him too.

If I had been any more sober I would have kicked him to the curb and taken care of her myself. Although I was thankful that he had stopped the interactions from going any further than they had.

She never would have forgiven me if we'd done more when she was in such a state, at the time I had wanted so much more than any gentleman should think of doing with a woman he was not only unmarried to, but not even dating.

I let my hand raise to my lips as I did probably at least once an hour now, as my thoughts wandered back to the taste of her and the way she had squirmed so desperately in my grasp.

What I wouldn't give for a night like that where there was no drinks involved. Just me and her.

I chuckled to myself as I entered the hamlet hearing my friends voice as he spoke at the end of the dock that hung over the water.

"Do you think she's avoiding me?" He asked to his companion. I heard no one else as I began to approach him. But the smell that invaded my nostrils told me all I needed to know.

"She's not avoiding you. Professor Fig and the keepers have her busy with her trials. Apparently upset that we've slowed her progress" I said as I began to sit at the edge of the dock with them.

I held the letter out to him feeling him snatch it from my grasp before pausing to read over her words.

"Why didn't I get a letter?" He asked as I felt his companion approach me, beginning to sniff at my sleeves.

"Well for one Victoria doesn't have an Owl, this was delivered to me from Poppy. And for two, since when are you a dog person?" I asked with a chuckle as I raised my hand to pet the large mongrels head.

"He's just a dog that likes to hang around here. He latches onto me every time I pass through." He said.

It gave a few more curious sniffs before prying itself between us and rolling over. It clearly wanted to keep being the center of attention despite our ongoing conversation.