Chapter 89: Stop Trying

Sebastian

In the span of a few hours she'd begun to wear herself down. She'd stopped fighting the memories and let them come to her but it was clear they were eating away at her.

Even when she wasn't in those trances she'd begun to just stare at a wall, a picture, or her own reflection. What she was searching for I couldn't tell.

Ominis and I made sure she was never alone. Sadly, after the incident with the mirror we both agreed we couldn't trust her to keep herself safe.

She'd tried to lay down, to relax, to eat, anything really to soothe her mind. Yet, memories kept her on her toes, at times dragging her into a fit of sobs that it was an effort to pull her from.

I didn't even need Ominis to tell me what she was thinking anymore. She'd begun to mumble to herself as twirled her wedding ring around her finger.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"Wake up."

"Please, I want to go home."

It was like she didn't care anymore if Ominis or I were listening in. But I suppose she believes us to be fake so it's not surprising.

As the memories continue to plague her it becomes painfully obvious who they're about as they occur.

She will twist the pendent at her neck if it involves me, yank gently at her bracelet if it's about Ominis, and typically grip her left hand if it's about Marvolo.

The ones involving Marvolo seem to hurt her the worst. Believing she loves or even loved Ominis and I is far easier than being forced to relive the terrible things Marvolo did to get over the years. She insists they aren't real, just illusions to try and confuse her.

But her sobs prove she's struggling to convince herself of that now.

Now I watched her from our little living room. Her journal propped of her knees as she wrote and wrote and wrote.

She let her quill flick over the pages again, reading back over the things she'd written.

I found myself peaking over her shoulder at the list of facts she'd jotted down. A simple list of easy to believe things I suppose.

•Professor Fig and Sharp found me. Made me a draft to conceal my magic.

•I joined the other students as a fifth year.

•I am a Hufflepuff

•I became Quidditch captain (before it was taken from me)

•I was used for my ancient magic to find the memories of the keepers.

She flipped to the next page. Question marks dotted the end of every line. Some were crossed out with corrections dotted next to them. I suppose these were harder for her.

•Ominis said he loved me in the Room of Requirement? (He gave me my bracelet?)

•Sebastian said he loved me at the Yule ball? (He gave me my necklace?)

On and on there were mentions of library visits and kisses, of the undercroft and stolen looks, of fights and make ups.

Yet not a single thing was written about Marvolo. The pages were filled of Ominis and I and our time at Hogwarts together. She wrote in the things that made her fall in love and the bad habits that got under her skin. (Note to self, tell Ominis to stop biting the inside of his lip she apparently hates it.)

I gave a half smirk as I leaned against the back of the couch. "You've never been to the Yule Ball, My Dear." I said.

She looked up at me, her face flushing bright red as she sealed the book closed. "You weren't supposed to see that." She said.