Chater 40: Her First Detention

Sebastian

I watched as a heavily robed Mr. Moon guided a non jacketed Victoria Amante to the edge of the forbidden forest and I felt my heart sink as I saw her.

"What in Merlin's name are you doing here?" I asked as she finally stood under the archway keeping her eyes on the snow at her feet.

"Professor Fig gave me a week and a half's detention." She admitted and I felt my face flush at her words.

So not only would she be here today but tomorrow as well?

Well I suppose the only good thing about that is she can bring me the book tomorrow and I can again go about my business of staying away from her.

Unfortunately my heart seemed to have other plans as it started beating out of my chest. As she stood there my mind wandered back to the first actual date we'd had right in this very spot.

Her eyes glistening in the candlelight as I had brought her into the woods. The way she had listened to my life story and promised to help with Anne. Even the way she had sounded as we'd kissed on the picnic blanket began to fill my memories.

Merlin help me, this girl is never going to stop tormenting me is she?

Mr. Moon frowned as he looked at me. This was a Thursday detention so typically if it was just me he would sit outside of the forest and wait for me to bring the assigned materials without chaperoning. Victoria threw a wrench in that little ritual.

"So Mr. Moon what are we meant to be doing out here?" She asked and I let out an audible groan.

"Mr. Moon I'll take care of it. Just hand me the list and we'll be out of your hair. Shouldn't take but an hour or so" I said.

"You sure Mr. Sallow? It is this young ladies very first detention she may need-" "I'll keep an eye on her, but she's an expert at her own defense. I promise you've nothing to worry about" I said holding my hand out to the man.

He seemed uncertain but he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a folded slip of paper handing it over to me. He then unlatched a bag from his belt that we were meant to fill and handed it over as well. "Neither of you get hurt or I'm afraid I won't hear the end of it" he said before moving to sit against the crumbling pillars.

"Come with me. Let's get this over with" I said as I crossed over the bridge with my lit wand, hearing her footsteps not far behind me as we walked.

I glanced down at the list recognizing the handwriting instantly as professor figs and audibly groaned as I read the higher difficulty of items we were meant to receive.

"Guess you royally pissed off your keeper. 10 spider fangs, 2 full bottles of leech juice, 5 dugbog tongues, the lists are never this complicated." I grumbled.

"I'm sorry." She said softly as she closed the distance and began to walk next to me.

"For what? Making my night more complicated? Ruining my Christmas? Being a complete-" "Ruining your Christmas? Last I checked you were taking my boyfriend away from me for the holidays. If anything you're ruining my Christmas Mr. Sallow" she said not letting me finish the insult I knew I would have regretted anyway.

I turned to her stopping in my tracks completely. "Are you daft? Ominis said he wouldn't come to Feldcroft because you refused to come with us." I said and the shocked look on her face made me realize she was being completely serious.

"I told him to go with you. To my knowledge he was planning on going with you. I didn't want him to miss out especially when Anne is still so sick" she said.