Chapter 66: Hurt

Liam

Everything is in place on my desk. The chairs and the couch appear to not have been touched. The carpet has not been tampered with. The window shades have not moved an inch. The closet door is still closed. Now that my quick routine office search has been completed it's time for work.

Ugh, it is hard to concentrate with Jinx Spade plaguing my mind; I simply do not get her at all. One minute she hates me for killing Nicholas but she knew of my innocence and then she tried to seduce me, I think. Weird is the only word that explains Jinx.

My armstation unexpectedly goes off. Who's this calling? Ah, my sweetheart.

"Hi, sweetie. Just a moment let me put you on call view. Call view."

"Did you get my message?" she asks while chuckling.

"Yes and thank you. Don't laugh, It's not funny. By the way, you look beautiful sweetheart."

"And you look somewhat handsome. I called to tell you that I'm coming home today."

She's coming home and I haven't convenience Jinx Spade to go away yet.

"Liam, what's wrong? Why are you looking like that?"

"I do not want you to," I simply state.

"I'm sorry but I can't stay here anymore. It's driving me crazy. Michael isn't helping with his constant hovering."

"I'm sorry. He's just doing what I asked him to."

"I know."

Silence falls between us. It's somewhat alarming to know that we've had very little to discuss since my release. Perhaps things will go back to normal if I open up to her.

"Hey, Ari–"

"Guess what?"

We say concomitantly.

"I'm sorry. Go ahead."

"Are you sure?" she asks.

"Yes."

"Tick, tick, thong a jit," she says with a giggle.

"What?" I ask laughing, "Why are you stupid?"

"I don't know," she hysterically laughs out loud, reminding me of Jessica's bellows that were music to my ears.

Good thing we can still laugh about absolutely nothing together, if she only knew the truth this will be a different conversation.

Here he comes walking into a private conversation.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing Michael," Ari says.

"Liam, I tried to talk her out of it but she insists on going back."

I suppose I couldn't keep her there forever, I decide to let Jinx Spade go.

It's only fair that Adrienne returns.

"I know. Adrienne, are you taking their skydrift?"

"Yes, they're coming with me."

Great now I have inconvenienced them, I'm sure he isn't ready to return, otherwise he would not have taken an extended vacation.

"Take a rental. Why drag them back from their vacation?"

"We need them there; he can't run away."

Run away? What would he be running away from? He stands behind Adrienne looking a bit annoyed at her comment.

"What are you running away from?" I ask.

"Jinx Spade," Adrienne answers for him and he looks away as he shakes his head.