Chapter 40: Adopt Her

Liam

From the drawn-back curtains, beautiful stars seem to illuminate the dark sky only to pale in comparison to the two moons. The moonlight shines creep into our high-up windows gently helping the warm fireplace light up the room.

Sitting in a comfortable chair, with Adrienne on my lap and our hands clapping together, I ponder over the possibilities of how they may feel, what they say, or what they might do with what I am about to tell them. They can be totally against the idea or they can celebrate with us. As I look around the room, I see curious faces staring at me and Adrienne waiting for us to share our reason for calling this informal late-night gathering.

Here we go.

"Sorry to wake you guys in the middle of the night but Adrian and I wanted to share something very important with you all and we felt that this would be the best time to do it."

Adrienne lays her head against my shoulder and squeezes my hand tighter while looking away from our family. I wrap my free hand around her waist.

"Ever has almost been with us for a year now. We want to adopt her into the Waldemar family."

Pausing purposely to give everyone a moment to process, I inhale a breath before slowly releasing it. To calm myself I slowly start rubbing circles on Adrienne's back as she tenses up against me.

"Relax sweetheart," I whisper in her ear.

It's quiet, extremely quiet. Looking around, I see a mixture of emotions on their faces. Impatiently, I am waiting for a response, any response to break this eerie silence.

"Guys. Please talk to us. We need to know how you feel about it, please."

"Why? She's nice but—" Harrison says.

"I'm sorry. This is foolish. How do we know we can trust her? I have said it before and I'll say it again, she could be fooling us. She could be their spy.' Taylor says interrupting Harrison, raising her voice with each word.

"Babe, calm down."

"No Edison! This is a mistake we cannot adopt her into our family! What is he thinking?"

Edison grabs Taylor pulls her into his lap, and whispers something into her ear. She relaxes against him and looks at the ceiling.

"Guys, we can't just adopt her. She does not know who she is, it is not fair to her. What happens when she remembers who she is, she will hate us," Ava says.

"Hate us. That is the least of our worries. We basically kidnapped her because she doesn't know who she is and now you're asking us to keep her?" Michael asks.

"Yes."

"Why Liam?" Skye Ivee asks.

"She belongs with us."

"How can you say that?" Preston questions.

"You don't think that she belongs with us?"

"I think that she does, but Ava's right. Let's say that she isn't a spy and really does have amnesia. How will she feel when she remembers who she is?"

"Betrayed," Glacee chimes in.

"Right," Lennox says.

"Liam, I'm all for us adopting her into our family but their right. We cannot steal her." Edison says.

Taylor remains silent, disengaged in the conversation as she continues to stare into the ceiling.

"Taylor?"

She completely ignores me.

"Liam, I don't think anyone here hates Ever—" Tessa says.

"Speak for yourself Tessa!" Taylor yells, interrupting her.