Chapter 21: Another Date

Adrienne

She comes through the door looking tired holding a crystal-clear vase filled with a rather large and brightly colorful floral arrangement. A folded-up piece of lavender paper sits in the cardholder. Another one.

"Geez Ari, you could at least attempt to hide the smile on your face. If he keeps this up Plethora will be void of flowers."

I look around the room at the many floral arrangements Liam has sent me; one every ten days. Some withered lifeless while others remained alive. Regardless their fragrance fills the room with a pleasant smell. Walking over to Ava and taking the arrangement from her hands, I sit them on our kitchen island. Ava follows and stands at the kitchen island giving me an unfathomable look.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm tired," Ava replies laying her head down on the island.

Hopefully, she'll leave soon so that I'll be able to open my note. Assuming they are for me, maybe Preston followed Liam's example and decided to give her some flowers and a note."

"Um, are you sure those are for me?"

Ava lifts up her head with an annoyed look, "You know that they are."

"Didn't want to assume. How did you get them?"

"They were left on at the door. Why does that matter? Are you still trying to make sure Queen Lovely isn't sending them for him?"

"I can't help to think that—"

"Well stop. Sorry to cut you off but you must stop that. He loves you trust me. Doesn't he say so in all his letters?"

I shrug my shoulders.

"Come here."

She stands and gently wraps me in her arms around me. Her embrace is just as comforting as Jessica's. She hums in my ear rocking me back and forth as I lay my head on her shoulder. Very calming, if I were not eager to read my letter, I'd fall asleep right here in her arms while standing.

After what seems like 15 minutes, she releases me from our embrace.

"I'm going to shower and Ari, please throw the dead flowers out."

"I'm letting them dry out."

"Why?"

"So that I can keep them."

"Just take pictures."

"Pictures don't capture the fragrance. I'll turn them into potpourri."

"And here I thought you loved them for their beauty. See you later."

"Okay."

Love them for their beauty? Certainty, I do but their scent just takes me to a euphoric state.

Gently my fingertips grab, unfold, and rub down the paper. Paper; flat, stiff, and thin to the touch. I'll miss it as Queen Lovely will miss her books. In two years, paper use will no longer be allowed on Plethora; all on account of its bad reputation for starting conflagrations. More like Plethorians were the cause.

Liam's handwriting is beautiful, feminine in my opinion. Let's see what this one says.

"My dearest Adrienne,

Everything about you captures my soul; your eyes, scent, smile, beauty, and what I know now to be your strength- your personality. As we get closer to our union, please know that.....

Post Scriptum- I'm picking you up at 7. Dress for outside weather. Love you."

Each short letter that came with each floral arrangement was the same. A smaller part of a much bigger letter that I have yet to fully put together. Liam made sure I kept all his little notes in a fancy scrapbook he sent along with my first floral arrangement. I will add this to my scrapbook with the others until my note is finally complete. His efforts to win me over are futile; he has always had my heart but unbeknownst to him, piece by piece he is chipping away at the stubbornness that has been protecting it for years.

*****

"Door alert by Liam Waldemar."

This is it, another date; I think.

Standing in the mirror I notice how everything about me has been the same since my baptism into immortality; the only things that change are the clothes and hairstyles I adorn myself with. Today I have chosen to style my hair in an updo, held together by a crystal rhinestone hair comb. Ringlets of curls fall in various spots from my updo and into my face. Ava did a good job curling my hair, although it took an hour. The off-the-shoulder sweater dress paired with black leggings and my pink leather round-toed boots look cute. He did after all say to dress for the cool weather tonight.

Walking into the front room I catch part of their conversation.

"Hey, it will be alright."

"I can't stand her Liam and she can't stand me."

"It's just some childhood rivalry. Try not to make too much of it."

"How can I not? He's supposed to be courting me and her soon after. What makes matters worse is that I was forced to work with her. Of all the women on Plethora why does it have to be her? Ugh!"

Perhaps I shouldn't go. My friend needs me. Liam will understand. Rounding the corner, I see Liam's hand on her shoulder as she steps into his arms and he embraces her.

"Um. Liam we can postpone our date if—"

"No," Ava says stepping away from Liam with fresh tears running down her cheeks.

"Are you sure? We can stay with you instead."

"No, I'll be fine. Please go on your date. Besides Taylor will be here in a bit."

Liam who was staring at me with a look of pride during my quick exchange with Ava shifts uncomfortably at the mention of Taylor's name, causing me to smile and shake my head at him.

"Come on beautiful, we should go," Liam says as he rushes over to me grabbing me by the wrist.

*****

"Come on, just a little bit farther."

"Liam, where are we going."

He points to a hilltop of Adar forest, while pulling me along, never releasing my hands since we left my suite. Good thing the ground is clear and free from mud. Otherwise, I'll punch him for running my boots.

He stops and faces me.

"Adrienne you look absolutely adorable. Thanks for coming."

I curtsey toward him, "And you sir look aesthetically pleasing."

He smiles at me. Well, he does, dressed in a navy blue sweater, medium-washed jeans, and navy blue boots. To finish off the look his dirty blond hair is neatly combed failing just past his shoulders.

"I need you to trust me, okay? No words, just trust me."

My head nods yes and he takes out a handkerchief and ties it around my eyes. Afterward, his hand returns its grip on my right wrist and pulls me forward.

*****

"Okay, we're here. I'm going to take the handkerchief off okay."

After I nod, he gently removes the handkerchief. Lights illuminate the area.

"Huhhh."

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. The top of the hill is decorated with white snowflake LED icicle lights, high up in the trees that form a big octagon shape over us. The lights run down the trees circling them. Beneath the lights, in the middle of the octagon sit's a table decorated with a white lace tablecloth, a crystal platinum horizontal table standing candelabra candle holder in the center of the table filled with seven lit candles, two place settings covered by large cloches, and off to the side it's a crystal vase filled with a colorful floral arrangement and a piece of deep red paper being held a cardholder.