Chapter 50: Divergents

Liam

Plethora, Spring 2051

Eventually, is finally here. Not by choice but through the deliverance of time. It's Spring 73, 2051; our family will be released by the end of the year and for the first time in many years, they are allowed to have visitors. As a group, we decided to meet with them from time to time until they were released. As a stipulation of their release, they are required to read the revised Book of Laws and study them along with rules we had put into place during their well-earned stay in Sojourn Prison. They will not be happy about the new laws, but changes were needed.

A few days ago, Lovely called upon me for a visit. Hesitant but bound I have no choice, as Waldemar Queen she still deserves respect.

This morning I move about slowly; my body feeling weary with defeat; reality has set in, they will be getting out soon and we will no longer be able to pretend that they simply don't exist.

After dressing I step out of the bedroom closet and pause near the closet door because of the most magnificent site before me- Adrienne and Ever laying on my bed together. Both were mine yesterday night, I feel like the luckiest plethorian around.

Sad by my soon departure I walk into the kitchen to grab a bagel with a glass of orange juice. The bagel toasts while a glass of orange juice is poured. In the morning quietness, her voice is behind me.

"There's my beautiful Husband; I'll seek up behind him and give him a hug."

"What?"

As I turn, we collide into each other, and juice from my glass spilled onto Adrienne's nightgown just as she reached for me to embrace me.

"I'm sorry, let me grab a towel, what did you say?"

"Huh. I didn't say anything."

"He must be nervous about going to see Lovely."

"What?"

My hands work quickly to wipe off her nightgown with the towel and sit it on the counter. After the clean-up, I place my hands on her shoulders and look into her eyes.

"You don't have to go; you're not obligated to see her," she says.

"I know."

"Then why are you going?"

"It's just something I have to do and I have to tell her about— "

My hands slide down Adrienne's arms as I kiss her on her cheek; taking a quick pause I stare into her lavender eyes, before kissing her on her lips.

"What do you have to tell her about?"

Quickly abandoning this conversation for my bagel, I grab it and take a big bite into it. She watches me as I chew it.

"Not about Ever, he's not telling her about Ever."

"I have to tell her about Ever."

Lifting my eyes, I'm met by an angry penetrating stare.

"Why?"

"That crass doesn't deserve to know anything about us, and I'm not divorcing Ever!"

Stunned and completely taken aback, I let the bagel fall from my hand and land on the plate face down.

I swear she didn't speak at all, yet I heard her. Stepping closer I focus on her lips.

"Please don't get upset. It's better this way. This will give them time to get accustomed to her. If we surprise them, they will try to kill her."

"Or she will tell you to divorce her, send her away, and you will do it!"