Chapter 135: Too Many Gifts

Before we reach the door a mixed floral and candy aroma drafts up my nose. As soon as the doors open, I see the source of the scent. Gifts, some wrapped and others unwrapped, and flowers fill the space. The different colors of the shiny gift bags and flower petals make the room seem cheerful.

"We had your gifts delivered while we were out," Princess Lydia says to Ever.

Clearly.

Both Lydia and Ever seem stunned by the amount of gifts. Ever quickly glances at everything but settles her focus on Adrienne.

I make my way to the sofa and lay Adrienne down. Though she can't move her head, her eyes rapidly move around observing what she can see in the space. My hand finds its way to her soft cheek.

"It's okay sweetheart, just relax. I won't let you out of my sight," I say as I sit next to her.

Ever approaches us and kneels in front of Adrienne.

"High Queen, sorry Ever, please don't kneel," Lydia says in annoyance.

Ever ignores her and stares at Adrienne. She reaches for her face. I instinctively grab her wrist.

"Don't, I whisper in a stern tone.

It is all I can say while in the presence of Princess Lydia. I'm hoping she'd understand that she can't be here now and fight the urge to give Adrienne her blood.

"Hey, why don't you go take a shower? Edison will sit in the restroom with you," I say.

"Okay," Ever replies.

Princess Lydia rolls her eyes and looks annoyed as she watches Ever leave the room with Edison in tow.

"How dare you dismiss the High Queen as if she is an ordinary plethorian?" Lydia asks.

"Because she is a plethorian; she is my wife before she is High Queen. She doesn't need "yes plethorians" who are going appease her for a chance to get a spot on her team or be her mate,"

"Unbelievable," she replies.

"Well, since Ever is preoccupied, I'm sure you have other things to do–"

"No, I cleared my schedule. While we wait," Lydia says as she takes a seat across from me, "Explain this upgraded power you and your wife have," she demands.

I'll just follow Johan's lead on this.

"I don't understand what you are referring to," I say as I pull Adrienne into my lap.

"I'm sure you guys wiped the cameras clean, therefore I won't waste my time looking for video footage. Listen, I will find out eventually you should just tell me. Like it or not, I'm going to be a permanent part of her life now. Anything that affects her, affects me."

"She's right anything that affects Ever, affects us all," Johan says as he and Lovley appear in the room.

"Thanks, but that's not what I meant. Since they will not answer me, Lovely will you? Will you tell me the truth? How are they able to do the things that they can do? Why was she after Ever and why was their family, including him," she says and points to me, "willing to fight her to protect Ever?"

"They were looking out for the welfare of their High Queen," Lovely responds.

"There's more to it than that, they all show up. Lovely, what harm will there be in telling me the truth? You're going to erase my memory anyway."

"I'm not going to erase your memory," Lovely says.

"You're not?" Lydia asks while looking slightly confused.