Chapter 3: Invitation

Adrienne

She has never held my hand this tight as we sit side by side, hip touching hip; in the pearl-colored white chairs that line the aisles, which contrast the black and gray colors we are adorned in. Above us, we watch as the fire from the podium burns into the skies in gulps as tears stream down our sad faces. Today is a day that my older sister Jessica and I never imagine would happen, the funeral of our beloved mother, Kathryn. Her ceremony is here on the white sands of our beach beneath the sunset. The stage beneath her body is decorated with snapdragons which were her favorite flower. All I can think about is the kindness of my mother and the time that I will never get to experience with her. This is extremely hard because our father, Steven was killed just two years ago.

*****

It's finally over and our patient family is greeting us but all we can do is cling to each other unable to respond to any comfort other than the comfort we offer to each other.

*****

What can a Plethorian do after the funeral of a loved one the following day? Nothing but continue. Unfortunately, we are expected to visit Queen Lovely in her suite against our will. Not that Lovely is a bother- she is perfect and our Queen. We just wish to grieve alone and in silence among ourselves. The escort to her bedroom from her suite's front door doesn't take long.

The midday sunlight beautifully decorates her room, from her open window the ocean is very visible, It's magnificent. Lovely stands by her dresser near a vase that is filled with multicolored snapdragons, they must be from the vase that surrounded my mother's burning body. Perhaps the closeness she had with my mother coerced her to keep a temporary memory from her funeral. However, hurtful that may be to me to see them.

"Ladies of Waldemar please approach me. Excellent. How are you guys considering the pain you have been forced to endure?"

"We're fine Love Lovely," Jessica responds.

"It is wonderful to have someone to lean on during times like these and especially if that someone is family. I want to let you guys know that you can depend on me. I have a gift for you."

Lovely moves as gently as she always has and removes two flowers from her vase and places one in my hand and one in Jessica's. Oh no, what is Jessica thinking by rudely throwing the flower on the floor and taking a step toward Lovely full of anger?

"I don't want this Lovely!"

"Young Jessica, I understand that your outburst and anger are due to the passing of your mother."

"Whatever, you should have done more! You could have rescued her, you witch, if you tried harder-- Because of you we are without her. I can't stand you!"

"Five days before beloved Kathryn died, she was kidnapped by our enemies the Chevaliers, tortured, and killed without any reason or purpose other than their pursuit for pure enjoyment. I pleaded with their leaders to have her released but my requests were repeatedly denied. With so few Plethorians left the option to start a war was impossible. Jessica, I am sorry you feel that way, but you must be strong for Adrienne and set an example for her."

"I'll set an example and make one out of you."

"Natalie please escort Jessica back to her room."

Natalie who appears from the shadows always seems to be in Lovely's presence looks as if she is enjoying grabbing Jessica by the arm and forcing her out of the room. Must she be so forceful, she knows that Jessica is rightly upset.

I have to stop this, "Please don't be mad at her. She's just upset, she didn't mean it."

"Adrienne, we are aware that she is upset. Greif takes many forms and right now she wishes to blame someone and that someone is me. Hopefully, with time she will heal, and the pain will fade away for her. Come here, take my hand, and walk over to the bed with me."

This is my first invitation to join her in bed and this nervousness must be the cause of this hesitation within me.

"It is okay come lie next to me. Good girl. I am just going to hold you. Yes, that is it, lay here."