Chapter 72: Her Truth

Liam

Her long soft hair bounces as she runs into my embrace as soon as the cell doors open. While tightening my grip around her slider waist, I get a whiff of her strawberry-scented hair shampoo.

"I've missed you," I whisper in her ears while swaying from side to side.

"I've missed you too," she says as she looks into my eyes and wraps her arms around my neck.

"Come here," I respond and place my thumb under her chin, lifting it more.

As we close our eyes; our lips gently connect and I'm reminded of how I miss being in the same room as her, touching her, holding her, and tasting her.

Unfortunately, there is much to discuss and I cannot get engrossed in heart-stopping whirlwind kisses. As I pull away her soft lips linger for a moment.

"Adrienne," I call hoping to get her attention.

She slowly opens her eyes and looks at me.

"We need to talk,"

"I know," she replies as her hands leave my neck. She lets them fall to her sides.

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I explained it at the cave and medical lab. I don't understand and can't explain how we were able to swim through and why we can't now."

"We'll figure that out later. I'm referring to your date. What happen?"

"What do you mean?" she asks as she steps away from me.

"You know what I mean, what happend on your date?"

"It was like a normal date, well besides the presence of extinct animals. We walked on the beach, talked, played around in the water, and ate," she says while periodically looking up to the right.

"Tell me the truth,' I say.

"I am. We just," she says and turns away from me, "ate real swimmilt," she mumbles.

"Or you ate an illusion. She probably made you see and taste something that wasn't there."

"Can she do that?" Adrienne asks as she turns to face me again.

"I don't know what she can and can't do but she has powers. I've seen her fly and make mini tornados."

"Yes, I saw her fly too. How can she do that if Ever can't?"

"I don't know," I say growing frustrated that we're getting off track, "We can ask her about that another time. Whatever she did, she completely cut off your tracker and video. Did she try anything with you? Did anything happen?"

"No, it didn't," she says in an offended tone, "nothing happened Liam."

She crosses her arms and turns toward the cell doors again. Her hands slowly creep around her back. She holds her head down and her body beings slightly shaking; indicating that she is crying.

"Adrienne, what happened?" I sternly ask as my heart being to ache.

My breath pauses as I try to prepare for her response; knowing nothing can prepare me if something had. Regardless of what she says I should try to be understanding and not get to upset.

Low sobbing sounds begin to escape her lips as she holds onto herself tighter.

"Adrienne, please tell me what happened?"

"No– nothing," she says through sobs while shaking her head no.

"Ari!" I yell, causing her to jump and turn around.