Chapter 32: Didn't Respond

Adrienne

Plethora Fall 2032

Planet Plethora's Droid system has been fully integrated. now have the capability to run on their own power without little aid from plethorians; however, designated plethorians oversee operations. Liam, unfortunately, has been assigned to assist Gavin in overseeing operations. Periodically he works late or serval days at a time if he is required to visit Vacation Isle and Manufacture Island. His overnight deployments are when I miss him the most.

Besides periodically missing my husband, the integration has practically created total freedom for us. To celebrate our grand achievement, both families held separate celebrations. It is very surprising that the two families temporarily set aside differences for the betterment of Plethora, I suppose the greater good of the planet takes precedence over feuds. The only downfall to our now perfect way of life was the decision to give the Droids power over all law. No matter how lenient or ridiculous some laws are, we are required to submit to them.

Even in all this newfound freedom, there is this lingering feeling that something is missing from my life. I've discussed this with Liam, and he feels it as well. Maybe it is just some strange feeling in our hearts or we're borderline crazy. Unable to do anything about it we carry on ignoring the subtle feeling.

"Hey, Ari are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm sorry. I was just thinking to myself."

"What were you thinking about?"

"Not much in particular; just our new way of life and..."

"And what?"

"I don't know. Just the feeling that something is missing."

"Let's explore —"

"Ava, no. No psychotherapy tonight please."

Since starting her psychology training, she has felt the need to practice on us; unwarranted or not. I suppose it is a passion of hers, but I don't understand her decision for such training considering, Droids provides such services.

I'm thrilled that she is here with me keeping me company while Liam is away, though he won't enjoy her scent lingering in my bed sheets. He's not too fond of the fruity fragrances she wears. I'll have to remember to have the bedding cleaned tomorrow.

Her warm body keeps me comforted as we lay side by side, in the dark, under the blankets, staring up at the ceiling.

Ava leans over me and places the softest kiss on my lips. She looks down at me and even in the dark I can see her piercing gaze.

"Ari, you're drifting off again."

"I'm not."

"I just kissed you and you didn't respond."

"Oh, I'm sorry I guess I'm not in the mood."

"Okay."

Ava lays down next to me and grab my hand.

Ten minutes of silence and she hasn't spoken a word. It appears that she has drifted into her own headspace.

"Ava, what are you thinking about?"

"Nothing."

"Ha, yeah right. I bet you're thinking about Preston and Lennox's evening. No probably more about Lennox, haha."

"Ugh."

"Ugh, what?"

"How can I tell her; hey, I hated you but now I think I have a crush on you."

"Easy, just tell her."

"It's not that simple."

"Sure, it is for you, the psychologist."

"I'm only in training."

"How do you expect plethorians to talk to you when you can't talk to her. I'm sure she knows anyway."

"I doubt it."

"Hump, if she's been paying any attention, she has noticed the way you look at her, the way you stop talking when she enters a room, how you no longer fight with her, and the way you go out of your way to help her."

"She doesn't have any idea. She thinks that I'm trying to be nice and keep the peace for Preston's sake."

"How do you know?"

"He told me."

"Oh. Have you told him?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I will, just not yet."

"You should probably do that s—"

The alarm system announces coupled with loud beeping sound, frightens us both. We immediately jump out of bed, grab our robes, slide on flat heeled boots, and head for our underground hotel.

*****

Lovely and the other women meet us at the hotel. She commands us to take a sit in the lobby as she stands on top of a coffee table.

"War is upon us dear ones. Until you are called into duty, I need everyone to remain here protected. If a Chevalier catches you, they will not hesitate to murder you. They will hold your body captive for four days until your ultimate death and defile it afterwards. Do not worry the same reward shall be theirs."

Murmurs and panic suddenly fill the large space. Looking around I observe women pacing the floor, crying, yelling, standing in shock, embracing each other, and looking around as I am. Ava and I cling onto each other.

"Lovely where are the men?"

"They are fighting of course. Goodbye."

After her simple reply to Riley, she leaves with Natalie and the woman leaders in tow. A smile brightly shines on her face. She thrives in war because no other known plethorian is as gifted as she is.

*****

We've been trapped in this underground hotel for weeks with little contact from our family. We have become accustomed to the frequent sounds of war as it continues above us. To help pass our time we train daily, as instructed by Queen Lovely, should we be called into battle. The occasional messages from the leaders and the few I receive from Liam help keeps my hopes up. I really miss him.