Chapter 8: Assignments

Adrienne

Although, her room isn't that far, this lonely walk seems to be the longest I've ever taken. Sunlight trickles through the thick ceiling-to-floor hallway windows. This part of our hallway is amazing, it provides the same view as Queen Lovely's room. Looking out at the ocean relaxes me.

As I approach the leader's suites the glass wall hallway ends and ushers me into their hallway which is decorated with paintings of our deceased loved ones. Stopping at my usual stopping place, I take in a breath before looking at the painting directly in front of me of my mother and father. Every time Jessica and I pass this picture we stop and stare at them for a moment, but it feels like forever. This time isn't any different- only I'm alone. They look as if they're smiling at me. Their love for each other radiates through the picture.

In their matching white and red clothing, complete with silver crowns adorned with jewelry, they truly look like royalty. Father sits behind my mother. His brushy eyebrows are set above his deep blue eyes, and his dark curly hair sits at the nape of his neck. His dimples are his most distinguished facial feature, especially when he smiles. Mother's long thick brown hair flows down her shoulders and her back. Unquestionably, I inherited her straight hair. Her brown eyes are full of glee. Two months pregnant with Jessica, when the picture was taken- she looks like perfection.

Oh only a few, I should hurry.

Even after two years, it's weird simply standing in front of the door while it takes seconds to scan me instead of knocking on the door. This door system is awesome.

"One moment Adrienne."

The speaker system is great, the automated voice was crystal clear.

"Come in Adrienne, advance to Lovely's sitting area."

The doors open for me after providing me with directions.

Everyone's sitting on the floor surrounding Lovely, Natalie, Tessa, and Samantha as usual. Let me take my place among them and sit near Lovely's feet.

This is an exciting yet emotional time as we're about to find out our assignments for years to come. Afterward, specialized training will begin. We all wait with anticipation because we know Lovely has her favorites.

"Well, let us get started ladies. This meeting should be short, afterward, you can go off and enjoy the rest of your day. Keep in mind that the position chosen for you is based on your current mortal body. Once you are immortal and develop gifts your assignment may change."

She smiles at every one of us, great no signs of a favorite. My knees find their way under my chin as my arms wrapped around my legs.

"We will go down this list in no particular order. Looks like Ava's first. Ava you are assigned to be the Princess's bodyguard and assist her. Your training will be under Natalie."

Ava smiles at me and the smile was returned, It's perfect. My best friend will be my bodyguard.

"Let us see who is the next, Lennox. Lennox you are also assigned to be the Princess's bodyguard. You will train with Ava under Natalie."

Lennox is my friend and I'm glad to have her but she and Ava can't stand each other. Lennox also smiles at me but the look she gave Ava isn't a pleasant one and it's returned to her.

"The next name is Taylor. Taylor, you are being assigned to work on the technology team. It is truly an honor as you will work with King Zais and his team. Samantha and Tessa will be there as your protection and you will train under King Zais himself."