Chapter 14: Stop It!

Adrienne

"So, do you think I should talk to King Zais about this?"

"I think he has better and more important things to deal with than marital issues. Just get over it and marry him."

"Drew you are clearly on his side. I mean if he wasn't your cousin will you tell me to marry him?"

"I suppose you would think that I'm on his side. However, looking at it from your point of view, no you shouldn't marry him if you're going to be immature about it. Ari he's your husband does it matter who he sleeps with?"

"He's in love with her. He only notices my body and probably imagines what he wants to do with me."

"That's not true."

"How do you know?"

"We talk, why wouldn't I know?"

"I don't know. So, what does he say about me?"

"No, I'm not telling you that. If you want to know ask him."

"No, that's okay. Am I the only fool who believes in true love around here?"

"No you're just the only one to question who your mate is."

"It's useless talking to you. I'll just ask Lovely again to arrange me with someone else. I'll keep asking her until she does so. I didn't give up with my mole and eventually she said yes."

"But you didn't remove it. Why?"

"One of my last memories is of Jess telling me that it isn't ugly and it's all in my head. The more I look at it the more I realized it isn't perfect and neither am I or anyone else and that's what makes us beautiful."

"I see you have had time to think about it, have you considered that Liam isn't perfect and you just need to give him time."

"Whatever Drew."

Drew is nice to talk to whenever no one is available although his answers are questionable because he has repeatedly proven himself to be bias. Just look at him giving me that same peculiar smile. He often looks at me as though I'm an exquisite art piece. I realize he does not mean anything by it, but it often makes me feel uncomfortable.

Today we're closed up inside Daylana, our where the entire family lives, sitting in our oversized den in front of the fireplace, warming our hands. It's oddly cool for this time of year, just a few days ago the sun looked quite promising to bring forth warm weather. However, the red, blue, and orange hues from the fireplace are beautiful. The heat feels like it wrapped around us; shielded us from the small draft in the room. It reminds me of how Jessica would hold me in her arms whenever I was cold before our mother died.

"Hey, Ari."

Drew interrupts my thoughts, I forgot he was here for a minute. As I turn my head to look at him, he runs his hand through his thick, neck length deep brown wavy hair. His brown eyes hold a bit of nervousness to them, making him appear even more handsome than he already is. Was he staring at me?

"Yes."

He moves closer to me and places his muscular hand on my cheek. I attempt to take a step back, but he places his free hand on my back stopping my retreat.

"I, um—"

"Hey, what are you guys doing?"

Drew removes his hands and we both turn to see Michael and Tessa approaching us.

"Nothing, just talking. What are you guys doing Tessa?"

"Michael and I came to play board games, since the leaders are in a meeting. Will you two like to play?"

"Sure. Come on Drew you can be my partner."

We approach Michael and Tessa and sit across from them at a small circular table. Tessa opens the game box and pulls out the pieces. Their sitting remarkably close and seem extremely comfortable with each other. Since Jessica passed away, she has been a friend to him.

"Okay, do you guys know how to play?"

"Of course Tessa."

"Hey, Ari don't speak for me, I don't know how to play."

Tessa rolls her eyes, "Okay for Drew's sake I will explain the game. First we have to— "

"Get the heck away from my darn wife Michael right freaking now!"

Everyone at the circular table jumps at his elevated voice; he manages to frighten us all. Tessa and Michael stand up and unknowingly I do as well.

"Jackson we're just playing a board game, babe."

"Shut up Tessa! I told you to stay away from his behind!"

Tessa flinches.

Jackson grabs Michael by his shirt collar and slams him against the wall; creating a huge hole in the wall. Michael holds his hands up in a surrender formation. Tessa grabs Jackson by the arm to stop him and he slaps her. She falls to the floor and immediately stands up with her cheek clinched in her right hand. It's shocking; both my hands become shield to my mouth. Michael punches Jackson in the middle of his forehead and causing Jackson to stumble. They go back and forth throwing punches at each other; until they fall on the floor, Jackson landing on top of Michael giving him more of a beating.

"Stop, Jackson leave him alone!" Tessa yells.

"Stop it guys." I yell.

Just as I'm sure Jackson assumes, he has an advantage over Michael, he is proven wrong. Michael flips him over, jumps on him, and beats him repeatedly. Jackson, being the disadvantaged one now forms a spiked ball and chain out of the palm of his hand and hit's Michael in the leg with it. After Michael falls to the floor, Jackson beats him with it repeatedly, striking him all over his body before hitting Michael in the face with it.

"Stop it, Jackson you're killing him! Stop! Drew help him."

Drew ignores Tessa plea and remains in his spot in front of the table watching the scene unfold; seemingly unmoved by any of it.

Suddenly, Ethan and Evan run into the room and pull Jackson off Michael. Tessa and I rush to Michael side; he is bloody and almost unrecognizable.

"Michael, it's okay," I gently pet his hair afraid to touch him anywhere else.

Tessa holds his hand, caressing it with her thumb. Michael, clearly in pain attempts a small smile and slowly closes his eyes.

Ethan pushes Jackson out of the room. Evan knees down in front of Michael and places his hand on his chest. A light beam from Evan arms and run down to his hands. The light is transferred to Michael's body, healing all his wounds in a matter of seconds. Michael opens his eyes and attempts to jump up, but Evan pushes him down on the floor.

"No, you're not going after him. What happened?" Ethan asks Michael.

"He hit her, he hit Tessa."

Michael's answer causes Evan to look at Tessa. There is indeed a bruise on her face. Evan walks over to Tessa and instead of healing her like I thought he would he grabs her by the arm pulling her out of the room.

Michael, Drew, and I sit in silence.

"Michael are you okay?"

He ignores me as if he does not hear me. He stands to only sit on a couch and stare at a wall rather far from the couch. He is quiet, it's alarming.

"Drew will you give me and Michael a minute to talk?"

"Sure."

"You should have helped him, punk."

"He's the dumb one for picking a fight when he's just barely an immortal, still without any power. He should have been wiser about it and waited until he could defeat him."

"He didn't pick it. Jackson rushed him."

"He's been picking it for months; it was bound to happen."

"What does that mean?"

"Nothing."

"Whatever, just get out please."

"Fine."

Drew walks away looking at Michael like he's curious about something. Michael becomes my focal point. After sitting on next to him, I give him my undivided attention. My small fingers make their way to his and entwine with his much larger fingers.

"Michael do you want to talk about it?"

He shakes his head no and a single tear run down his cheek. That tear alone speaks of the pain his lips refuse the reveal. He is madly in love with her. He lays his head in my lap and my free hand becomes his comfort as I use it to trace his head, face, and ears.

We sit here together for an hour; basking in the quietness of loving plethorians who do not love us back. I accept that he has moved on from Jessica. I cannot expect for him to grieve for her forever.