Chapter 20: Bound By Law

Liam

Four years ago, if anyone had told me that I'd fall in love with Adrienne; they would have been the biggest liar on Plethora.

Although she will accept my proposal because she's required to by law, I'm still very nervous. I suppose her willingness and not obligation is what I'm after. In my opinion, our two-month courtship has been going well. She is learning to accept my character just as I'm willing to accept her strange views; I'll get her to bend on the important one- I'll have another.

Unfortunately, young women are not yet allowed off Adira Island for their protection. I was hoping to set up some elaborate proposal there, but I'll be bound to the confines of Adira. After weeks of practically begging, Lovely still turned me down. Even after my promise to take Drew, Michael, Edison, and a slew of Guard Model 423 Droids. Our Queen still does not trust us.

I'll have to do my best with what I have. Luckily Skye Ivee and Ava were willing to help me with the setup and decorations.

On my dresser sits the box that holds the symbol of my future. Hopefully, she loves it. If she doesn't, I'll go buy her one she can appreciate. It must be the best; one that will represent the Waldemar Princess well. Stepping over to my dresser, I decide to look at it.

She will love the deep red velvet material of the ring box. It helps enhance the rather large diamonds that fit very well with the setting. It will be very prominent on her finger.

"Looking at that ring again?" Drew says.

Hum, so lost in thought, I failed to notice his entrance. Rooming with him and Michael has been a blast over the years. Especially when we played practical jokes on others and spent many nights staying up until dawn talking away. I'll miss them.

"Yes."

He sits on his bed, watching me while I turn to face him. His brown eyes hold that same curiosity they always hold; it's like he's a scientist and we are his experiments. At times I find myself studying him as well. With features unlike my own, my parents, my aunt or uncle he seems out of place for our family. Often it makes me ponder if his mother had an affair with my uncle. If so, it was something she took to death with her. Not that it mattered, family is family.

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah. Skye Ivee and Ava are setting everything up for me, so—"

"No, I mean are you ready for marriage? Marriage to Ari?"

"Oh, yes."

Every time I think of my sweetheart my lips magically curl into a smile; she does that to me.

"I mean, it will be just you and her. Are you ready for that? She's not going to give you permission to be with anyone else."

"She'll come around."

"Your confident."

"Well, of course."

Drew tilts his head up and his irises look up and rapidly move left to right. He smiles and returns his gaze to me.

"What if she does come around and she'll want you to share her with someone else."

My fingers form into a fist automatically, while I take several deep breaths to calm down. Drew laughs hysterically, hunches over, and holds his stomach, all while grasping for air.

"That's not freaking funny. IT-WILL-NOT-HAPPEN."

I cannot kill him. Why would he even suggest a thing? I do not care if it's appropriate according to our laws, I will NEVER EVER SHARE HER WITH ANOTHER MAN.