Chapter 102: Stunned

Liam

Their heartbeats now beat as one; it was interesting listening to Adrienne's heartbeat chase after Ever's until they met the same rhythmic pace. Adrienne's fingers repeatedly move through Ever's hair as she sits on the bed next to her. Her actions seem to be relaxing her or perhaps she's like me, relaxes wherever she's around Ever. I could stay here forever and watch them but our little debriefing left me with more questions than answers and unfortunately, there is only one plethorian on Plethora who may have answers.

"Adrienne, I need to go," I say from my uncomfortable chair in the corner of the lab room.

She looks up at me with a confused expression, "No, you can't go. I want to spend more time with her."

"You can do that Adrienne, she's sleeping."

"No, you know that I can't be around her without you," she says in a slight panic.

"That's not what she said Adrienne, she said sometimes."

"This may be one of those times Liam."

"Sweetheart–"

"No, you're not going anywhere."

"I'm sorry but I am. If she wakes and starts to freak out call me; I'll come right back. Ava can help you," I say motioning to the medical station.

Adrienne looks toward Ava chatting with Preston and Harrison at the medical station. Her gaze leaves them. She looks at Ever and rubs her index and middle fingers against Ever's soft cheek. She looks at me with a curious expression. I'm all too aware of her next question.

"Where are you going?"

"I think you know."

"I'm going with you, please don't try to stop me. If you do, I will follow you. I want answers too."

I can see that she's very adamant about joining me and will not take no. A marriage is a unit. If we have any hope of improving how things currently are we must work together. With Ever, soundly sleeping and others to watch over her, I suppose Adrienne can join me.

"Fine. If you come with me, you need to forgive me."

"How can make such a request? Just forgive you for hurting her, like it is a simple thing to do. Have you forgiven me for Jinx?"

"I forgave you. Yes, sometimes the thought of you developing feelings for her and being with her still distrubs me from time to time but I love you therefore I overlook those thoughts," I simply say.

"Whatever, you haven't forgiven me, yet you want me to forgive you," she says as a tear runs down her cheek.

"I've forgiven you," I calmly say.

"Why?"

"Because she's forgiven me and I understand what it feels like to need forgiveness when you can't fully give it to yourself."

"Only because she needs you."

Ouch. That was a low blow. What hurts the most about her comment is it could be true.

"Liam I'm sorry. It's just jealousy talking. I'm jealous that she needs you and pushes me away."

"Sweetheart, she's not pushing you away, she's pushing Jinx away."

"It feels like she's pushing me away and I guess I deserve it, this is my karma. Have you truly forgiven me?"

"Yes, I have. Come here," I say and hold out my arms.

As she steps into my arms her pleasant scent fills my nose. It's much stronger than what I'm accustomed to. A magetic force seems to quickly build between us as she looks into my eyes.