Chapter 132: Chevalier's

Liam

Breakfast. The best meal of the day or so I've heard. Unfortunately, I dread watching the Chevaliers as they enjoy breakfast. As we're being escorted to the dining hall, I'm extremely grateful that Edison ordered us breakfast this morning and had it delivered to the master guest room window. The droid was able to pass the bags through the obnoxious flowers that filled the room.

As we get closer to their dining hall, I hear chatter and laughter. Nothing alarming, just a family having breakfast.

As soon as we step into the dining hall the room becomes quiet and everyone stands in unison from their long table.

Ever holds her head down, I place my fingers under her chin and lift her head.

"Right this way your Highness," a droid says and we follow it to the head of the table.

The droid pulls out the head chair for Ever and gestures for her to sit. She looks at me for approval and I nod. Edison grabs two chairs from an empty nearby table and places them to Ever's right and left as she sits down. We sit and watch as the Chevaliers look at us in disgust.

All except, Princess Lydia that is, her expression confuses me.

"The head of the table was reserved for the High Queen, your place is not beside her," Drew says, "You two belong at one of the empty tables," he says with a tone that implies we'd personally robbed him of something.

When he doesn't get a response from us he looks at Lydia. Lydia shakes her head no. She's not interested in giving us any attention in front of Ever because she has her sights on a higher prize- taking Ever away from us, becoming High Queen, and controlling Ever. If she can do those things she'd rule Plethora.

"Are the accommodations up to your standards?," Lydia, who sits to Ever's right, asks her.

Ever nods her head with a smile. She quickly looks away from Princess Ever.

"If there is anything you need, please let me know," Lydia says gaining re gaining Ever's attention.

Ever nods her head. Princess Lydia studies her as she always has, regardless of her newfound wants, Lydia still looks at her with curiosity and I don't like it.

Droids carry trays of nice smelling toward us and place plates in front of everyone. The Chevalier family looks at Ever. She holds her head down and I quickly lift her chin again.

"My Queen," Lydia says irritating me, "This is your frist meal with us, before we can begin you must take the first bite," she says.

"With all due respect Princess Lydia, we're here to protect her. We cannot allow her to take a bite from that plate, who to say it isn't poisoned," Edison says.

Lydia swaps plates with Ever. Ever picks up her fork, pokes a pineapple, with it, and brings it up to her lips. I take the fork from her and place it down.

"Don't eat that," I say in a soft voice.

"You guaranteed that you wouldn't interfere," Lydia says.

"I did, as long as nothing is threatening her; this is a possible threat," I say.

"It's only a threat because you are making it a threat," Lydia says.

Ever leans in my ear, "Please, I'll take just a tiny bite. I don't want to offend them. If I get sick, you can take me away and I want to ask to come back, please," she pleads.

Darn it, maybe Adrienne is right- something in me can't deny her when she pleads. I should have brought Adrienne along as well.

I look at Lydia, "If something happens to her I will kill you," I say.