Chapter 26: Avoiding

George POV.

Throughout the night I didn’t sleep a wink. I didn’t eat either. Nor did I have anything to drink. I was just spending the whole night thinking about what I had seen. Dream was a shapeshifter, or a werewolf, or whatever. He’d also been in my house multiple times, and several of those times he’d be cuddling with me in bed or he licked my face.

It made me feel gross, knowing that he’d be watching me when I thought it was nothing more than an adorable dog. How far would he have taken this if I hadn’t realised? I didn’t even want to think about that.

This entire string of thoughts I went down made me worry, I was reluctant to even go to school this morning, since I would be seeing Dream there. The teachers even had been putting our seats together in every class which guaranteed it. It made me think that they were working for him. Maybe his servants? He might be their werewolf king.

There was also that other wolf, since now that I think about it, it was not small enough to be a dog. The black wolf which had been with Dream the other day. It had seemed as though Dream had some sort of authority over this wolf based on the way he’d be barking and growling at the other animal.

Who was it though? It could be anyone who I have met. Maybe one of Dream’s parents, or his younger sister that I had been told about but hadn’t met. It might have also been someone from school, perhaps one of our mutual friends like Wilbur or Bad. The thought that one of, or multiple of our friends were in on this made me even more on edge.

Eventually though my parents dragged me to school, after seeing that I wasn’t sick or bedridden in any way. The entire time I tried to convince them that I was in fact sick, unsuccessfully. Just a few minutes before the bell rang I was dropped off and headed inside.

I kept to myself, not wanting Dream to be able to say or do anything with me, out of worry he’d do something if he realised that I knew the truth about him. Maybe he’d kill me and my parents and eat us. I tried to ignore those thoughts though, after all if I got paranoid then it might tip him off even more.

English was our first class, and he was obviously sitting beside me. My gaze remained fixated on the front of the room as all of the other classmates filed in and went to their seats, including the blond that I was planning on avoiding. “Hey George.” He greeted, a common thing for him to do when he sat down, but instead of responding, I continued to stare forward.

“Are you alright?” He asked after I stayed silent. He took his seat next to me while continuing to ask his questions, with me refusing to respond. “George… are you alright?” He repeated. The way he cared for me made me want to admit all of my troubles, even though at the same time a deep fear was filling me.

“Should I take you to the school nurse?” He asked. “You seem kinda pale.” I still stayed silent, attempting to block out his caring words. After all, he was some insane werewolf who probably wanted to exploit me for some reason. His words sounded somewhat fuzzy in my mind but I didn’t give him any acknowledgement as the teacher walked to the front of the class.

The lesson blurred into words I couldn’t focus on, instead just continuing to think about what was going to happen with the blond. I wanted to talk to someone about what was going on, someone who obviously wasn’t Dream. However I couldn’t since everyone would see me as insane.

For the entirety of the lesson the blond kept asking me if I was alright. If something was wrong. If I could tell him so that he could help. Obviously though he wouldn’t be able to help if he was the issue. “George.” He begged. “Please, I care about you. Tell me what’s wrong and I’ll do anything to help.”

“Dream.” The teacher spoke firmly. “Keep quiet, unless you have a question about something related to the topic.” The blond seemed reluctant but did listen to her and fell silent. I was thankful for that. I didn’t want to talk to Dream, and went back to staring blankly towards the front of the room.

✨At lunch✨

I knew that the blond was likely to try and approach me during lunch so that he could continue his bombardment of questions. So I took a moment when everyone was distracted in gym class to sneak out and get changed before finding a place to spend lunch away from everyone else. I was thankful that nobody, including the stalkerish blond, noticed me.

Since Dream was a werewolf though, I naturally assumed that he had some superhuman senses, just like in all the stories I read about (although I won’t be using my omegaverse knowledge as facts for my werewolf situation), so it wouldn’t be hard for him to find me if he was trying, so it was more a matter of me attempting to find a place where he’d struggle to get too.

It was probably a pointless plan, but I’d rather that than he be around me. So I disappeared into the school library, tucking myself into a corner with the hope that the blond wouldn’t find me hidden from sight away from the door. I pulled my phone from my pocket and messaged Karl, deciding I wanted some guidance.

Dream POV.

George had been avoiding me all day and I was feeling stressed out about it. I wondered if I had done something wrong, if there had been something which I had said or if something else entirely had happened. No situation could come to mind though, since I was going to be a leader one day my parents had trained me firmly about how I should act.

When gym class had finished, I noticed that George had disappeared. I wasn’t sure where he had gone, but instinctively I wanted to find my soulmate after having such a strange morning with him. After getting changed I smelt him, the familiar scent of the man I was destined to be with.

I followed it to the library, where I quickly located him in the corner on his phone. With love and care in my eyes I approached him, sitting opposite the brunette on the floor. He looked up at me and seemed concerned. “Hi…” He greeted me awkwardly.
“Hey. I just wanted to check on you,” I responded. “You seem tense.”

“I’m fine.” He answered, shifting on the spot. “But… do you mind? I just want some time alone.” I noticed the distress in his expression and as much as I wanted to stay and comfort him I knew that he should be alone and so I followed his request.
_________________________________________
1196 words