Awkward (NoRen)

I'm sure you all watched it, but this was inspired by their most recent 7illin episode.

As the group falls into another practice routine for their upcoming album it's business as usual. Working their asses off trying to get it perfect. It is a precedent they set for themselves. Always striving to be the best for their precious fans. It's exhausting but so worth it.

After they finish, they all simultaneously collapse to the floor. They lay sprawled out, staring at the ceiling as they breathe heavily.
"I think we got it. Good job guys." Mark says breaking the silence. He hears a few grunts of approval but not much more.
After a while some start talking and joking around as they lay.
Finally Jeno is the first to stand to gather his things and leave.
"Where are you going?" Haechan asks. He turns slightly.
"We are done and I'm hungry, so I'm leaving." He says as he throws his hoodie on.
"We should have a meal together tonight. It's been so long." Renjun says softly. Jeno doesn't reply. He just says goodbye and walks out.
"What's with him lately? He's always so sulky." Renjun asks.
"He was fine with me when we ate together the other day." Chenle says. Renjun frowns and sighs.
"He just seems sad all the time." Jisung sits up and starts to stand as well.
"Just ask him." He says with a shrug as he goes to gather his things.
"Where are you going?" Renjun asks.
"Jeno just texted me. We are going to get food and watch a movie." He says excitedly making Renjun frown more.

Renjun is hurt. He does everything in his power to keep their friendship strong and Jeno doesn't even care. After suggesting a group dinner he pulls Jisung away and eats alone with him instead. The others all agree to eat with him though so he feels a bit better.

As the photo shoots, recordings and practices continue, things mostly seem normal. Jeno smiles and laughs and acts fairly normal.
Renjun has been listening as members talk about fun times they've had together and it seems Jeno has been participating in some extra activities with other members but whenever Renjun is around he seems to be busy, or just not interested. He doesn't know if it's just coincidence or if he is avoiding him. His gut tells him it's the latter. He leaves the practice room to use the bathroom and is only gone for a few minutes, but when he comes back it's just Jeno.

Now is his chance to ask, now he has to summon up his courage and go for it.
"Jeno?" He only turns slightly and grunts.
"W-would you like to go to dinner with me tonight?" He takes a deep breath and looks down.
"No, I can't." Renjun frowns.
"Oh? You're busy?" He looks back at Renjun and nods.
"Yeah busy." He starts to walk away when Renjun grabs his arm. He stops but doesn't look.
"Why don't you do things with me like you do with the others?" Renjun asks, his voice laced in hurt.
It takes Jeno a minute before he decides to respond.
"I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable." He says stiffly. Renjun frowns and tries to understand why he would say this.

"Wait, why would I? I don't understand." Jeno shakes his head and turns to finally face him.
"When we were filming and we were deciding our goals for the year. Do you remember what you said?" Renjun shakes his head, his frown still present.
"You said you would feel awkward eating alone with me." Renjun smiles softly.
"Aw, are you sulking about that? I'm sorry." He says lightheartedly with a pout.

Jeno's eyes narrow.
"This is exactly why I didn't want to tell you." He says with tears in his eyes.
"You guys always think I'm sulking and it's so funny and you laugh and tease me. Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes I'm actually hurt." He walks toward the exit as Renjun's eyes well up.
"Wait Jen, I'm sorry." He shakes his head and walks out leaving Renjun to cry on his own.

The next day they are scheduled for the recording booth and Renjun doesn't know if he can actually do it. His voice is scratchy from crying all night. He feels genuinely terrible for what he said and for hurting Jeno so badly.
When he walks in at his scheduled time he sees Jeno laughing with one of the sound techs and smiles a little to himself. At least he's not completely depressed, but when Jeno looks up his smile clearly falls. Renjun offers a small wave but only gets a head nod in return as Jeno abruptly takes his leave.