Chapter 65 Sock Walls and Glowing Puddles

Waking up it was still pretty dark outside and it was cold too. As I woke up some more I lifted Smith's arm from around me so I could sit up and see the time on his clock, it read seven o'clock.I Flopped down again and looked up at the ceiling, 'I am guessing you're awake?'I Heard Smith say, I groaned, 'Yeah sorry if I woke you up.'I Said rolling over to face him. 'Nah I have been up ages.' He said just looking at me,I Looked at him waiting for him to tell me why. 'I had a nightmare.' He said and I propped myself up on my elbow, 'do you want to talk about it?'I Asked him,I thought I was probably something to do with his mum. 'No it's alright.' He muttered. 'Alex. Please.'I Asked again and he rolled his head to look at me, 'I was talking to my mum, and she just vanished, like turned to dust and blew away. In my dream I followed her through woods. It felt like I was running on the spot but she was still talking to me.' He sniffed,I Moved closer to him with a tear in my eye and pulled him into a hug. 'It's ok.'I Just kept repeating not knowing what to say.

When Smith pulled away from me I kissed him, 'come on let's go and get some tea.'I Said running my fingers through his hair.

When we got down stairs smith sat at the table and I boiled the kettle, 'I am sorry.' He said, and I looked at him, 'for what?'I Asked walking into the dining room. 'For putting that on you, you have enough to deal with.' He said and I folded my arms. 'Hey we are a team, we deal with shit together.'I said and he smiled, 'you have such a way with words.' He said and I smiled at him, 'yeah I get that a lot.'

Smith and I were just chatting, mostly about my birthday which was in just over a week,I Hadn't had a proper birthday in a while. 'What do you want then?' he asked and I shrugged my shoulders, 'come on there must be something.' He insisted, 'nope I don't want or need anything,I Have everything I need right here.'I said and he rolled his eyes, 'maybe a grater for that cheese.' He said and we both laughed. 'What's so funny?' Katie asked walking in wearing her dressing gown that had polar bear ears. 'Nothing.'I Said drinking the last of my now cold tea. 'Aren't you meant to be somewhere?' She said looking at Smith, Smith looked at her confused,I Had no idea either. 'Something about airsoft Chris was telling me last night that you had to be out early.' She said and he looked like he had a eureka moment. 'Shit yeah.' He said standing up, 'I am meant to be there in an hour or so,I Forgot.' He said before dashing upstairs. I Just rolled my eyes and Katie sat at the table after making me another cup of tea. 'Sometimes them boys have the memories of goldfish,I Had to subtly remind Chris it's our anniversary tomorrow.'I Chuckled, 'yeah,I Think Smith remembered it's my birthday soon.'I Told her and she half shrugged her shoulders.

Katie and Trott had gone out for lunch with some of Trott's friends from Uni which left Ross and I in the house. He was sat on his laptop with headphones on and I was still in my pjs laying on the sofa binge watching something on Netflix. After the sixth episode of whatever I was watching I sat up and nudged Ross with my foot. 'I am bored.'I Said as he took his headphones off. 'I am Ross nice to meet you.' He said holding his hand out momentarily. 'You don't get to tell dad jokes you're not a dad.'I Said, 'what you want to do then?' he asked closing the lid of his laptop,I Shrugged my shoulders, 'we could go into town if you still need to go.'I Suggested and he thought for a moment, 'it is almost lunch time.' He said looking at his watch, 'awesome I will go and get changed you get ready.'I Said jumping off of the sofa and going upstairs.

I chose my blue jeans and stunt lads shirt and when I came down Ross was already wearing his coat and had his keys in hand. 'You ready?' he asked getting my coat off of the hook and handing it to me and whilst I was putting it on he handed me my bag too. 'Sure let's go.'I Said zipping my coat to the top.

We walked into the shopping centre and Ross kind of headed straight to Super Dry. 'Really?'I Said as we walked in, 'look I have a problem.I Am not proud of it.' He said looking around. He picked up a couple of hoodies and some trousers. 'Right then next is socks.'I Said as we eventually came out. 'Yeah I know a place it's just down here.' He said pointing above the mass of people. 'You can tell Christmas is coming.'I Said as we weaved through the people, we eventually came to a smaller shop and followed Ross in. 'Socks are over here.' He said and I followed him to a wall of socks. 'Which ones do you want?' he asked,I stood and looked at the mass of socks, 'I have no idea.'I Said, 'well he used to get these ones.' Ross said reaching to the top row. 'Yeah they look right.'I Said as he handed them to me.

We finished up the rest of the shopping and we went to the little cafe on the corner which seemed to be the favourite for the other yogs too. We sat down and a waitress came over and took our order. 'Can I have a chocolate muffin and tea and do you want a blueberry muffin and tea?' he asked me,I Nodded wondering how he knew. Once the waitress had gone I asked him, 'oh, well, it just stuck you know.' He said resting his hands on the table. 'So your birthday is coming up.' He changed the topic, 'sure is, next week.'I Told him, 'yeah Friday right?' he asked and I nodded. Our orders arrived and we carried on chatting and finally left around four.

It was dark when we walked out of the cafe, there were the streetlights giving the small puddles orange glows of reflection. 'We better get a move on Smith should be home soon if not already.' Ross said as he started to pick up speed, 'can we not rush.'I said really didn't have the energy and walking was uncomfortable enough let alone power walking. 'Sure, errm.' He looked at his watch again, 'look, Smith won't be grumpy if that's what you're worried about.'I Told him and we walked back home.