Ch. 54 - Daryl's Return

KATHRYN'S POV

"Son of a bitch," I growled out as I laid on the lower bunk in the first cell in our cell block, Hershel sitting by the bed with a needle and thread as he stitched up my side. "I think you hung out with Daryl too long," Glenn said, smirking at me as he held onto my hand while Hershel peirced my skin with the needle once again. "Can we not mention his name please," I growled as I slammed my eyes shut while Hershel did his work. "Sorry," Glenn said as I opened my eyes to see him looking down with a sad look. "He made his decision," I said squeezing Glenn's hand to get his attention, "we weren't a part of it. It's done."

I looked up at Glenn, to see Maggie behind him with a look mirroring his own, before I felt Hershel tug at the string in my side and caused me to wince and hiss in pain. "I'm through Kathryn," he said causing me to look over at him, "I'm through." I smiled weakly at him before running footsteps reached my ears. Looking up towards the doorway to the cell, I spotted Dad running in with Carl right behind me. "I'm alright Dad," I said smiling as I sat up slightly and hugged him once he knelt down where I was laying.

"When I heard you were shot again," he said as he pulled back to look at me, "I was worried that this would be the time I lose you for good to this word." "Dad have more faith in me please," I said laughing before my laughter stopped short as someone appeared in the doorway to the cell. Everything went silent, the minute those in the cell realized what caused me to stop laughing and smiling. It was no secret that the group knew how Daryl leaving with his brother affected me. And now here he was, staring at me laying on the bunk with my shirt still lifted up to reveal my side where I got shot moments before.

DARYL'S POV

I watched as Kat's blue eyes peered at me, and there was nothing hiding there that I didn't know was directed at me. As we stared at each other, not saying a word, the others slowly began making their way out of the cell until it was just Glenn left with us. "It's okay Glenn," she said squeezing his hand which I just realized she was still holding, "I'll be fine." "I'll be right out there if you need me," he said before looking to me and finally walking past me and out of the cell. I followed him out with my eyes before turning back to face Kat as she sat up on the bunk she was sitting on, tugging down on her shirt to cover the fresh wound.

"Can I help you with something Dixon," she asked after a moment, looking over at me once the shirt had been pulled down over her side to hide the wound. "I wanted to make sure you're okay," I said, only for her to interrupt me. "I'm fine," she said turning away from me, "you can go now." "I wanted to apologize for leaving with Merle too," I said causing her to stop with her back to me. A moment later, she turned around with a smile on her face, but even I could tell it was forced. "No need," she said shaking her head and walking up towards me and stopping just in front of me, "Merle's blood. I get it."

KATHRYN'S POV

"What," Daryl asked, giving me one hell of a confused look. "I get it," I said shrugging, "I was nothing more than a kid to you. There was nothing keeping you here when you finally had your brother again. You don't need to apologize about it." I watched as his blue eyes widened by what I said, there hurt there in them as well. "Kat," he said but I held up my hand. "Don't call me that anymore," I said shaking my head, "now, will you please leave. I need to rest otherwise Hershel and my dad will have my head." I watched as he clenched his jaw before turning and walked out of the cell I was in. "Sorry Daryl," I whispered well after he was gone, before I walked out of that cell and up the stairs to my cell.

I could tell I had hurt him with what I'd said, and pushing him away. But he's got to understand, he hurt me too when he chose his brother over the group he's been with for nearly a year now. The look he gave me, when I said I was just a kid to him, told me he didn't see me as a kid. At least not anymore, compared to when we were back on the farm. Then again, we weren't doing half the stuff we'd done these past several months. But that just leads me to wonder, why did he do any of that stuff with me if he just planned to leave the second he found his brother again. I knew in my heart, I'd forgive him for anything but right now I needed time to get over what he did.

DARYL'S POV

How could she think that I saw her as nothing more than a kid. She is by far more than that. I should've known better than to leave with Merle and leave her behind. But I was stupid, I chose my dumbass brother over the one person in this group that may have been annoying in the beginning but had gotten closer to me than anyone else. But hearing what she said today, and seeing her reaction as she said it, I'm not even sure I'll be able to regain her trust again to where we're even close to what was before. And she's stubborn. Just as stubborn as Merle, or even me. Guess that's what drew me towards her in the first place. And now, I don't know what I'll do if I lose her completely.

Merry Christmas y'all. Hope it was a good update. I'll try and update
- Kenz