Ch. 109 - A Week's Time

KATHRYN'S POV

I woke up the next morning, Daryl's arm still wrapped snuggly around me. "'Morning," I heard Daryl whisper softly into my ear as he tightened his hold around me when he felt me stir slightly. "You're going to take Aaron's offer aren't you," I asked in a quiet voice. I felt him stiffen slightly before he finally spoke up. "Nothin' else for me to do," he said as he sat up on his elbow. I rolled over so that I was laying on my back, peering up at him. "I know," I said as I looked down before looking back to him, "you need to be out there. I get it Tarzan."

"You haven't called me that in a while," he said smiling down at me as he lowered his head, placing a small kiss on my lips before pulling back. "I've had other things to worry about other than your nickname," I said smiling before I watched him get up from the bed, "where are you going?" "Aaron's got a bike sitting in his garage," he said looking at me, "needs to be put together before I can do the job he's offering." "Can I come," I asked sitting up as he walked around the room. "Don't you have work to do yourself," he asked while I smirked. "Screw it," I said laughing, "I wanna see the bike."

As the week wore on, I spent most days with Daryl, but others I was left with no choice but to go to the school to help the teacher. It wasn't a bad job, I got to spend time with my brother during the afternoon when he started attending classes. Even though it wasn't that bad, I wanted to do what it was Dad and Michonne were doing, that or help Daryl and Aaron with the recruiting. But I didn't have a say in it at the moment. So I just stuck with what I was doing.

DARYL'S POV

I sat on a box in Aaron's garage, working on the bike as I heard the door that led inside, open and close before the sound of someone walking towards me reached my ears. I glanced up over the bike that I'd been working on for about a week, spying Kat walking in all dressed up in what she's been wearing to the school she's been working at. She didn't say anything to me, just pulled up a spare box and sat down next to me, watching what I was doing. "Somethin' on your mind sweetheart," I asked after glancing over at her and noticing the look on her face.

"No," she said shaking her head before finally looking over at me instead of staring at the bike in front of us, "just thinking is all." "Thinking about what," I asked as I put down the tool I had in my hand before fully turning to face her. "It's just," she started before stalling for a second. "What," I asked as she looked up at me. "The bike's almost finished," she said, "which means you'll be going out there again soon with Aaron. I just don't like the idea of two people from my family going out there and risking their lives anymore."

"You consider me a part of your family," I asked, watching as a blush began to rise up on her cheeks. "Well yeah," she said as she looked down at her hands and refused to look up at me for a moment, "I thought that was obvious by now. I mean, I didn't peg you for one to go for labels so I never said anything." I smiled as I watched her, her blue eyes slowly peering back up at me through her lashes with her blush still ever present on her cheeks. I turned away after a moment, going back to my bike as I figured she'd need some time to recompose herself.

"Would you take me out for a ride on the bike once it's finished," she asked after a few minutes, "before you and Aaron leave for your first run? I don't know how long you two will be gone out there before returning." I looked over at her and nodded, watching as a small smile graced her lips. "I can do that," I said as we both turned our attention back to the bike before me. As the time went on after that, before we made our way back to the house we shared with the others, she'd ask questions about the bike as she seemed keen on learning what makes it tick.

KATHRYN'S POV

We spent the rest of the day with him teaching me about the bike before returning home. A day later, we took it out for a test run. We stopped at once point, some place away from everything and just enjoying the silence. Well, that's not the only thing we enjoyed. But that was yesterday. Today, Daryl is leaving with Aaron to begin his new job. I laid in bed, Daryl's arm wrapped around me again as he held me tightly to him. I felt him stirring behind me before I tightened my grip on his hand."You're really going today aren't you," I asked in a whisper, keeping my back to him as I stared at the wall on my side.

"We'll be back before you know it," he said in his deep morning voice as he moved that much closer to me and placed a small kiss on my shoulder, "I won't let anything happen to me or your cousin while we're out there." I gave a small nod before rolling onto my back to face him, keeping his arm snug around my waist. "I just want y'all where it's safe," I mumbled out. "I know," he whispered, "but my place is out there. Not behind these walls." "I know," I whispered out before he kissed the top of my head and climbed out of bed to get ready.

Hey I apologize for the crappy chapter y'all. My brain has been on autopilot since last Thursday for personal family matters. Hopefully next chapter will be a little more straightened out. And I almost forgot to post cause I'm been worrying about everything else since we're getting hit with that Tropical Storm today. Oh how I hate these things. But anyway I hope next week's update will be better.
- Kenz