Ch. 125 - Aftermath

DARYL'S POV

We backed the tanker up to the small pond that had been with Alexandria, me and Kat in the back as everyone kept the walkers from us while we poored gas into the water to use as a distraction. Once the tank was empty, me and Kat climbed up on top with her sitting down while the truck drove forwards slightly with everyone else inside the cab. Once we were a safe enough distance away, I stood with the launcher in my hands and aimed it at the water, firing it and igniting the water instantly.

KATHRYN'S POV

The plan worked. Mine and Daryl's plan actually worked as walkers began moving towards the burning body of water. We were all out there fighting for our home. I nearly cried with relief when I spotted Dad. But I couldn't get distracted, I had to keep fighting until the last walker had been taken out. And we managed to do it, all the walkers were down and dead when the first signs of daybreak were appearing over the horizon. I made my way over to Dad the second the last walker had fallen to the ground, wrapping him in a near bone crushing hug. We stayed like that for several moments before finally pulling away.

"Where's Carl," I asked as I looked around for my kid brother. At that moment, I watched Dad's face fall before he turned and ran in the direction of the small doctor's office. Fearing the worst, I was right behind Dad, the sound of the others following behind us reaching my ears. When we got to the room, we busted inside and came to a stand still. I stood there, staring at my brother's still form as tears began to slowly fall down my cheeks. I felt Dad pull me into his arms, allowing me to bury my face into his chest as tears began to pour.

I could hear movement from behind us as I kept my face in my dad's chest. The sound of the footsteps told me right away that it was Daryl as he was shuffled off to the side and I guess being taken care of for that cut on his shoulder. I pulled away from Dad, looking over at Carl, as I tried to steady myself when I remembered I shouldn't get too stressed out. Well more than I'd already had to deal with since that run started. "Carl," I whispered out as I pulled away from Dad completely and walked over to the left side of his bed.

I peered over to where there was a chair, grabbing it and moving closer to his bed, before sitting down and grabbing his hand in mine. I didn't like that it didn't feel as warm as it should. "He's stable for now," Denise said as she walked over to the other side of the bed Carl was on after helping Daryl, "the best thing for him now would be to wake up." I looked up at her and nodded before watching as she turned and left the room, giving us the space we needed. I turned my attention to Daryl as he moved to stand behind me before I felt his hand on the back of my shoulder.

DARYL'S POV

I hadn't been there when Kat lost her mom, hell I didn't even find out until well after the fall of the prison. But if I had to guess, how she was reacting now would probably be damn near to how she reacted then. I looked around the room as I watched Michonne walk in with Lil Ass-kicker in her arms before moving to stand next to Rick. He looked just as broken as Kat, seeing his middle child lying there, motionless. When Denise had been fixing up my shoulder, she'd told me that he'd been shot. Poor kid.

I turned my attention down to look at Kat as she started speaking. "Carl," she whispered out, "you have to come back from this. You didn't let a bullet take you last time when it hit the both of us, don't let it take you this time. I can't lose my kid brother. Not before he gets a chance to meet his niece or nephew first at least." I heard an intake of breath, watching as Kat seemed to hear it too before she slowly lifted her head to look towards Rick and Michonne. I looked up also to see them both staring at her. "What," was all her father said.

OMG guys I'm so sorry I never posted yesterday. I swear I didn't realize it was Friday. Again I'm so sorry!
- Kenz