Ch. 118 - Keep Going

KATHRYN'S POV

My arms wrapped tighter around Daryl's waist as the bike picked up speed, my head resting on the back of his shoulder as I waited and tried to prepare myself for what to expect when we reached Alexandria. I stayed quiet, both me and Daryl seeming lost in thought as we worked hard to get back as fast as we could. The more I thought about possibly loosing Alexandria, the more I thought about if I should tell Daryl now or not at all. If we lost this place, what's to say we'd survive out there with a newborn baby? We'd got lucky with Judy, she was born in the prison and spent about 6 months of her life behind that fence.

I was brought out of my thoughts though as soon as I heard a familiar voice over the walkie. "Daryl," Dad's voice came through with the static, "Kathryn?" "We're here," Daryl said quickly as I sat up slightly to peer up at him. "It won't be long now," Dad said though the walkie, "they're almost here. I'll get them going your way again. "How about that Daryl," I heard Sasha's voice next over the walkie, "he's gonna be coming our way." "How did I know she was going to have a smart ass remark," I asked when he didn't have the button pressed for the walkie.

Daryl didn't say anything, just kept driving forwards as we continued on the path we were going. Dad's next words, scared me more than I would've liked. "There's gun fire coming from back home," he said, "we've gotta sit with it, and hope they can handle it. I think they can, they have to. We keep going forward for them. We can't turn back because we're afraid." "We ain't afraid," I heard Abraham's reply. I lowered my head back to Daryl's shoulder as I waited to hear more of what Dad had to say. "This," he said, "is for them. Going back now before it's done, that'd be for us."

Dad's end went silent again, but Daryl kept driving in the direction of home. I tightened my arms around Daryl's waist more as I waited anxiously for Dad to say something else. "The herd has to be almost here," Dad finally said after a few moments. But then, my heart seemed to stop. When it seemed like Dad was about to say something else, the sound of gun fire and Dad groaning or something came over the walkie instead. I quickly sat up and reached for the walkie, grabbing it and pressing the button before speaking into it. "Daddy," I all but shouted as I let got of the button and waited for his reply.

DARYL'S POV

I grabbed the walkie away from Kat's hand before talking into it myself. "Rick," I said and heard static back in return, "Rick." I glanced back to Kat, seeing the fear in her blue eyes as she looked up at me. If there was just one person that she worried most about since the fall of the world, it was Rick. "Hang on," I said and just as I felt her arms tighten around me, I leaned forward in the bike as I picked up speed, not really sure what I was doing yet. After a moment, I pulled to a stop on the side of the road and picked up the walkie. "Rick," I said into it. I looked back at Kat again before lowering my head only to lift it up and look back the way we'd came.

"Daryl," Kathryn's voice said in a hushed whisper, causing me to look back at her again. I turned slightly, still balancing the both of us and the bike, wrapping my arm closest to her around her shoulders and pulling her towards me. I squeezed her shoulder slightly before turning back to face forwards on the bike. "Hang on okay," I said as I waited for her to grab onto me again before I pulled off and back onto the road. "Daryl," Kat's voice reached my ears after a few moments, "where are we going?" "Back to help Sasha and Abraham," I said, "Rick was right. We keep with the plan."