Ch. 137 - More Going On

KATHRYN’S POV

I watched in horror as Gregory fell to the ground, Daryl running to help as Dad jumped the man who stabbed his own leader. I moved as quickly as I could, joining Maggie, Jesus, and Glenn who were aiding to Gregory. I placed my hands quickly over the bleeding stab wound to his stomach, looking back over my shoulder as I watched Dad and Michonne pulled the guy away before fighting with them. Then my attention turned to Abraham as he was on the ground with another guy pinning him down, his hands wrapped around Abraham’s throat. But it didn’t last before Daryl pulled him off and knocked the hell out of him.

My attention moved once again when Glenn got up and ran in a direction, my eyes moving with him as I saw what he saw. The guy who attacked Gregory, had my dad down on the ground with a knife to his neck. “Stay back,” the man said as he was distracted by Glenn, “anyone who gets in my way is killing my brother!” Being in the woods with Daryl as often as I had been, I picked up how to walk quickly and quietly as I moved to the man’s other side. “Yeah,” I said gaining his attention, “and you’re killing my father.” With that, I brought my fist back and punched him square in the jaw, causing him to forget about my dad below him.

In the next second, I watched as Dad picked up something from the ground before stabbing it into the man’s throat. I just stood there, staring with no emotion on my face as I watched the man bleed to death over my dad before I felt hands on my shoulders. Looking over, I spotted Michonne beside me. And just behind her, Daryl was walking over to us. She looked back to see what I was watching before quickly moving out of the way. Daryl instantly wrapped his arms around me protectively before my attention went back to Dad as he stood to his feet looking around. “What,” he said before we all looked back to Gregory.

DARYL’S POV

I held Kat back as this girl who showed up with the asshole who attacked his own leader punched Rick. But Michonne stepped in next when Rick was on the ground. It still amazed me how protective Kat was over her family. When Jesus managed to calm things down, he looked to Rick and told him that things weren’t as simple as they seemed for the Hilltop. With that, he turned and walked over to where Gregory was laying on the ground with Harlan, helping to move him inside to get him looked after.

During our waiting period, we all found ourselves back in the office that belonged to Gregory. Rick had since cleaned up his face as we waited for a progress report on the man. Kat was stood next to me by a window, much to my disapproval as I wanted her sitting down. I could see the exhaustion hiding behind her eyes, but she was trying to seem strong in front of these strangers, but we all knew she had to be tiring out. “Kathryn,” Rick said from over where he stood, “you should really sit down sweetie.” “I’m fine Dad,” she said as she gave him a smile.

“He’s right Kat,” I said, “I get it, you want to prove yourself and show that you can do this even now. But don’t, we just got to see the baby and everything. Don’t risk it any more for a while.” I watched as she stared up at me. She really wanted to be stubborn about this all. And as she went to open her mouth to speak, that’s when Jesus came back in and began explaining everything that was going on. “We heard the name Negan,” Rick said as he moved from his spot, “a while back Daryl, Kathryn, and Abraham ran into a group of his men. Who is he?”

KATHRYN’S POV

I listened as Jesus explained who this Negan was. I still remembered when we ran into some of his men. And I didn’t like the feeling they gave me. I could’ve sworn that day would’ve been the last day I got to spend with Daryl and at the time my own family didn’t know about me being pregnant. I continued to watch as our group went into a basic bartering mode, trying to find a middle ground for us to get what we wanted and needed, and to help these people free themselves from this new threat. “I’ll take it to Gregory,” Jesus said as he looked around at all of us before turning and walking out of the room.