Ch. 122 - Finding A Way Back

KATHRYN'S POV

We took the cooler back to them, always knew we would. But in doing so, we got caught up in whatever problem it was they had. Finally met the people they were running from, well sort of met them. And they finally figured out that we weren't who they thought we were. But shit quickly went down hill after we got away from those people. The group of three lost the girl who'd been sick, she fell into a melted walker and it all but ate her alive it seemed. After Daryl and the other guy got her buried, we planned on going back to Alexandria to get help for them, but that didn't happen.

We turned our back for a second while on Daryl's bike, and the next second, the guy had the gun aimed at me because he knew just from the little time we were with them that Daryl would do anything they said if it delt with me. Daryl was attempting to pull his crossbow off when he noticed the gun was aimed at me. I wasn't flinching, wasn't the first time a gun was aimed in my direction and it wouldn't be the last. I just stared at them as they moved closer to the bike. "I'm sorry," the guy said as Daryl let his hands down and came to stand next to me.

I looked over at Daryl, really hoping he wouldn't do anything stupid as the guy kept his gun aimed at me. "Give her the crossbow," he said as he turned his gun to Daryl for a second before aiming it back to me when Daryl made no move to comply. I finally jumped, after Daryl was arguing with the guy and the guy shot a round off to my side. "Daryl," I said in a harsh whisper as I closed my eyes, not wanting to see what was about to happen. I only opened them once more when I could hear the sound of movement, watching as he handed it off to that girl.

DARYL'S POV

I felt Kat move closer to me and grabbed my hand, watching as the guy handed his girl the gun while he started my bike. "Patch yourself up," the girl said as she dug out a couple bandages and tossed them towards us as she climbed onto the back of the bike with him, "we're sorry." "You're gonna be," I said with a slight nod of my head as I squeezed Kat's hand in mine. I watched as they drove off before I let go of Kat's hand and turned, walking off in a random direction. "We're gonna be okay right," I heard Kat ask softly after a few minutes of silence. "Yeah," I said glancing over my shoulder at her for a moment before facing forwards again.

I looked around for a moment, noticing Kat doing the same thing from beside me, before I noticed a sign or something on the ground. While I was brushing it off to see what it was, I noticed Kat's feet moving by me from the corner of my eye. "Hey Daryl," Kat said when she came to a stop, causing me to lift my head up and see what she was looking at. Noticing the same thing, I rose to my full height and walked over the the tree branches that didn't seem to belong where they were.

We walked over to the branches, and started moving them until what had been hidden was in plain sight. "This must be the truck they drove to burn this whole wooded area," Kat said as we stood back from the tanker. "It's ours now," I said looking over at her before walking towards the cab. Making quick work of the walker inside, I climbed in on the driver's side and started the truck while Kat walked around and climbed in on the passenger's side. "Let's find the others and go home," Kat said looking at me when the truck started, this small smile on her face. "Yeah," I said with a slight nod before putting the truck in gear.