Ch. 69 - Helping Out

KATHRYN'S POV

It's been hours since I've joined Mom in A. More and more people from D keep coming in as the flu like sickness spreads through all those who had originally survived in D just yesterday. Hershel joined us about an hour ago, bringing this tea his wife used to make to help with the symptoms. Since he's been in here, because I'm not as effected at the moment, I've been helping out with getting the tea to everyone to insure that we're all given a fighting chance. But Mom's gotten worse since she came in here, and seems to be getting worse by the hour. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried that she wouldn't pull through this.

"Kathryn," Mom called out from her cell as I went to walk past. "Yeah Momma," I asked as I walked to her door and peered in at her. "Come here a second," she said as she sat up on the bed. "Mom I have to help Hershel," I said looking back over my shoulder towards where he was at. "I know sweetie," she said looking at me with a tired and weak smile, "but come here for a moment." "What do you need Momma," I asked with a smile as I knelt down in front of her. "I want you to take this," she said pulling a necklace from around her neck. "But this was Grandma's," I said as she placed it in my palms.

"She gave it to me and now I'm giving it to you," Mom said nodding. "But Mom," I said shaking my head. "No buts," she said, "there's no way of knowing for sure that I'll make it out of this and I've been meaning to give you this locket for a while now anyway. So take it." Sighing, I looked down to the necklace she handed me. She always wore it, and when I was good she'd let me wear it for a day. "Thank you Mom," I said as I placed it around my neck before hugging her, "but you'll make it out of this." She just smiled at me before pushing me out of the cell, her way of telling me to get back to helping Hershel.

GLENN'S POV

"Herhsel said to drink this," Kathryn said as she walked up the steps to the landing I was sitting on. "You're working too hard," I said laughing as she sat next to me. "Gotta keep busy," she said smiling at me, "if it wasn't for me being sick, I'd be out there with Daryl and the others trying to get the meds. So I'm doing what I can from in here, and Hershel needs help." "Don't over do it," I said drinking some of the tea, "Daryl will have all our asses." "I don't believe that," she said shaking her head, a small frown on her face. "Why," I asked handing her the cup back, "he looks out for you, no matter what. And he'd be mad as hell if something happened to you." "Yeah well he can't control what happens to me when Mothernature says otherwise."

"Yeah this suck," I said leaning back against the railing, "after everything, we just get taken out by a glorified cold." "We're stronger than that," she said smiling at me, "a glorified cold won't take us out, we won't let it, not without a fight. Get some rest, I need to get back to helping Hershel." She went to stand up when I grabbed her wrist, stopping her. "Don't over do it Kathryn," I said looking up at her. "Okay Glenn," she said before smiling and nodding. I let go of her wrist, watching as she stood to her full height and walked off down the stairs and back to Hershel to help him out. She always did put others before her, no matter what.

KATHRYN'S POV

"Kathryn you need rest," Hershel said looking at me. "I'm fine," I said as I whiped off a bit of sweat from my forehead before instantly coughing. I covered my mouth to keep from coughing onto him but when I pulled my hand away, there was blood on it. "No you're not," he said, "you're working yourself too hard and you're sick. You need to rest before you put yourself in the ground faster than you should. What would your father think if he knew? What about Carl, or Daryl?" "Why does everyone keep holding him over my head," I asked shaking my head.

"Because everyone knows how close you two are," Hershel said placing his hand on my shoulder, "or at least were. I'm sure whatever problem you both had before this, won't matter after everything settles." "It's my fault that Daryl and I aren't that close right now," I said, "I kept a pretty big secret from him. And I wouldn't be surpised if he never forgave me for it." "You're not thinking properly Kathryn," he said stepping towards me but I stepped back, "he cares more for you than you could ever know. Don't doubt him on that one." "I'm done talking about this Hershel," I said and turned around, but then, everything went black.

Okay so it's a little short. I apologize for that. I almost didn't get to post today. But I did, yay!
- Kenz