Ch. 142 - Calm Before the Storm

KATHRYN’S POV

It’s been weeks since everyone returned from dealing with the Saviors. Poor Maggie looked distraught over something, and I later learned she’d been taken hostage with Carol. She was okay, thankfully, but she was still shook up over it. Daryl got his bike back that we’d lost. Apparently someone there had the bike and claimed that they only found it. We both knew that was bullshit, but it was nice to have the bike back. I missed Daryl’s bike that I got to watch him build after we got here.

We haven’t had any more trouble from the Saviors, guess we did take care of all of them when the group went to that place all those weeks ago. And now, every other week, we were getting a few things from the Hilltop to help keep us set and just last week I went with a group of our people and confirmed that me and Daryl are in fact having a little girl. We announced to everyone yesterday that we’d come up with a name. Daryl picked her first name and I got to pick out her middle name. Bryce Alexandria Dixon. First baby to be conceived and born in Alexandria since the fall of the world.

DARYL’S POV

I sat next to Kat on the steps to the front porch, watching her as she seemed lost in thought as she stared down at her stomach. “Whatcha thinkin’ about over there,” I asked finally, causing her to jump. “It’s nothing,” she whispered with a smile and a shake of her head, “just thinking about how it won’t be too much longer until our little girl will be here. And I’m just scared that the same thing that happened to Lori will happen to me. I don’t want you left on your own with a newborn baby. I know you Daryl, you’ll shut down.”

“It won’t,” I said as I quickly grabbed her hand, “we have someone here to help. She’s been studying up so that she’s prepared.” “We had Hershel for Lori,” Kat said, “and Carol. But look what happened to her. They weren’t around and she lost her life, leaving Dad with baby Judith.” “That won’t happen to us,” I said as I pulled her towards me, “everything will work out.” “Just promise me that you won’t push people away should something happen to me,” Kat said as she looked up at me, “promise me Daryl.” “I promise,” I said as I placed a kiss on the top of her head before movement off to our left caught my attention.

KATHRYN’S POV

I felt Daryl shift after his promise and looked up to see Rosita and Denise walking over towards us. Daryl stood before helping me to my feet and then down the stairs to meet the pair half way. “What’s going on,” I asked as I looked from Denise to Rosita. “There’s this place I want to check out,” Denise said nervously, “I believe it’ll have drugs there if it’s really what it says it is. And I know we’ll need as much as we can get because you’ll be having your baby soon and we need to be ready for anything that gets thrown at us.”

“What does this have to do with Daryl and Rosita,” I asked confused. “I was hoping they’d come with me,” she said, “help me out. They don’t have shifts and don’t have any training to do with the other people here in Alexandria so I was thinking they’d be the best choice.” I looked over to Daryl as he seemed to be in deep thought. “I don’t know if that’d be a smart choice,” Rosita said, “you haven’t spent any time outside of these walls since you got here.” “I can ID the meds,” she said, “I’ve seen a roamer up close and I know how to use a machete. Please let me do this, I want to help out.”

Rosita and Daryl shared a look, both seeming to try and decide on if they’d go along with this plan or not. “I’ll go alone if I have to,” Denise said. “You’ll die alone out there,” I tried to counter. “I’m asking them to help make sure I don’t,” she said back quickly. I watched as Daryl looked over to Rosita, obviously not wanting to go. “I am not babysitting her by myself,” Rosita said when she saw the look. “Son of a bitch,” Daryl groaned which caused me to laugh. “Hurry back Tarzan,” I whispered as I leaned up and kissed his cheek before walking inside the house and closing the door behind me.