Fletch

After 2 weeks Jac was discharged. He picked her up after his shift. He was late. She was not impressed
"About time Adrian"
He  dreaded the use of his real name because it usually unleashed the full force of Jac Naylor's acerbic tongue.
Today though he ignored the tone and kissed her then whispered
against her neck "wind your neck in Naylor" and nuzzled for a second. It was his secret weapon, he knew what that move did to her. Jac resisted the urge to groan in pleasure and instead complained, "you're playing dirty Fletcher" but she laughed. It annoyed her how he could diffuse her anger but more annoying was that she found it quite endearing.
Jac was made to leave in a wheelchair despite her protestations but that also meant that they had to use the lift. Jac knew this would be difficult for him but also knew it would not be useful to mention it. As they waited for it to arrive, she wordlessly reached for his hand and squeezed. He was only just aware of Jac's reassuring gesture. He was sweating, heart pounding. He brought himself back from the thoughts that were threatening to darken his mood and instead concentrated on the small delicate hand currently squeezing his much larger one.
They travelled the three floors in silence he grasped her hand tightly and when they got out he released the breath he had been holding. He crouched down
"Thank you" he said quietly a little less broken
" let's get you home"
At home, 5 kids and Fletch's mum were putting the finishing touches to the welcome home celebrations. They had made a banner and cards. Evie had baked a cake which they had all decorated in sweets and cream and icing. There was even a little "party tea'
They had balloons on the front door.
Jac Naylor in her pre Fletcher iciness would have scoffed at the sentimentality and dismissed it with a razor sharp comment but that was the old Jac Naylor, the Jac Naylor that wasn't head over heels for this family, the Jac Naylor who wasn't engaged to Adrian Fletcher.
The new Jac Naylor however, squealed "oh my god what's all this" as they pulled up in the car
"We missed you mate" Fletch grinned. "It's a bit OTT though isn't it? That's what I get for leaving mum in charge whilst I was at work " he shook his head.
"Ok. Ready?"
"Yep. You'll have to help me out of the car" she said a little embarrassed
"My pleasure" he said