Jac

Jonny arrived on time with bags full of presents from him and his family for Emma
"Come on let's go and find somewhere to open these and you can show daddy what you got this morning."
Jonny followed them into the living room and Emma sat down next to her stash " wow you must have been a very good girl this year "
"I have daddy"
Jonny stayed for a couple of hours during which time Jac was pleasant and non confrontational "meanwhile Evie had been asked to set the table and was in the kitchen with Fletch collecting cutlery and glasses
" Dad when are you going to ask Jac to marry you" asked Evie
" I'm not" fletch said simply
" why not?"
" you've met Jac right? She would laugh in my face"
"Really. You sure about that?"
"Evie, I plan to love that woman til the day I die but she is independent and strong willed. I am still grateful and amazed every day that she wanted to be with me in the first place and that second she agreed to move in here with us. I would marry her tomorrow just so that I could tell the whole world how I feel about her, but she would say no so I'm planning to leave things just as they are"
"Coward" Evie said and Fletch threw a sprout at her.
What neither knew was that Jac had been just about to walk into the kitchen when she began to be aware of the conversation taking place between Fletch and his daughter.
She quietly turned around and slipped into the living room which was still in chaos.
Her heart was pounding fast and hard in her chest. Marriage? She can't deny that after Sacha had mentioned rumours of wedding bells and patter of tiny feet that it hadn't crossed her mind. But hearing that was different. She tried to examine her feelings about this. Would she laugh in his face? Wouldn't it be better to leave things as they are? Things were pretty much perfect but the conversation that she had overheard was preying on her mind.