Part 26

Aston’s POV.

I woke up for the third day in a row to the smell of antiseptic. I pulled myself up from the mattress I had been sleeping on and looked over to Scarlett. She was still in a coma. It had been three days, I was starting to worry even more than I already was. I walked out of the room, bumping into the doctor who was taking care of Scarlett. “When will she wake up?” I asked. “I don’t know, it’s hard to tell, hours, a few days maybe.” He replied vaguely. “Oh. You’ve changed your tune. Yesterday it was ‘only a matter of hours until she wakes up’ now this?” I snapped. “Well, it’s hard to tell, I guess. Look, we checked the wound last night, and it looks as if there’s a risk of infection.” He replied bleakly. “Why didn’t you tell me this last night?!” I exclaimed, furious that this had been kept from me. “Because, well you were tired, I didn’t want to upset you even more.” He said quietly. “I swear to God, you better do your best to help her. If anything happens.” I shouted, getting interrupted. “Aston, shouting isn’t going to help anything, calm down.” A familiar voice said, it was Marvin. “I’m just gonna leave you two to it.” The doctor replied, slipping off into Scarlett’s room. “Come on, come take a walk with me.” He said quietly. 

About 10 minutes later, me and Marvin were sitting in one of the side rooms. “Ast, mate you look shattered.” He said softly. “I know.” I replied. “I’ve had hardly any sleep since I’ve been here.” “Go home for a few hours?” He suggested. “I can’t, I want to be here when she wakes up.” I exclaimed. “I just can’t think about not being here when she does.” “She’ll understand Ast, why don’t I stay with her for a few hours while you get some rest.” Marvin replied. “No. I will be there the moment she wakes up, I’m not missing it for anything. I won’t. I can’t. I couldn’t protect her from him, so I need to be there for her more than ever now.” I said, the words came pouring out. “Don’t tell me you blame yourself for what happened.” Marvin replied softly. I looked away from him, looking at the floor, not replying. “Oh Ast, you can’t blame yourself for this, it’s not your fault at all.” He exclaimed. “How can you say that?! She got stabbed, I didn’t protect her from him. I was a coward. I should have.” I replied bluntly. “He had a knife Ast, you could have got killed if you went after him.” Marvin said. “She got hurt because of me.” I said back. “No she didn’t Aston. You weren’t the one who stabbed her.” He replied softly. “I can’t deal with this!” I exclaimed, jumping up, running down the corridor, back to Scarlett’s room. I opened the door slowly, she was still the same as I left her. I pulled up a chair and took her hand. “Please Scarlett, please babe, please just wake up.” I said, tears pouring down my face. I stroked her cheek and kissed her on the forehead. “You look just as beautiful as the day I met you.” I breathed, hoping to get any sort of response from her, however small it was.

Scarlett’s POV.

“I know you can’t hear me, but Scarlett, you mean the world to me, I can’t live without you.” I heard Aston sob. I had heard the last few things he had said to me. I couldn’t move or talk. Must have been some sort of medication they had given to me. I could feel a searing pain in the top of my leg and the back of my head. I couldn’t remember what happened. “Please babe, just please, wake up.” I tried to move, but I just couldn’t. “I know the chances of you hearing this are next to none, but we’ve finished innocence. I want you to be the first to hear it.” Aston whispered. The song started playing and I listened intently. The song finished a few minutes later. “That song is for you babe. Remember. We made vows in the tree house, together, Forever…” He said quietly. I lay silent for a while, trying to move. Sometime later, I started to regain more feeling, I could feel Astons tears on my arm. “Aston, that was beautiful.” I managed to whisper. “Scarlett?! You’re awake?!” Aston exclaimed, leaning over me. I opened my eyes. He was the first person I saw. “Yes, I’m awake. Aston what happened to me?” I replied quietly. “You’re awake.” He said, staring into my eyes, like he was totally mesmerised. “Yes, I am.” I replied. “Please Ast, tell me what happened to me.” I laid there silently, while Aston told me everything. I kept having flashbacks as he went through everything that happened. “You’re safe now, he’s been locked up. It’s gonna be a very long time before he’s breathing any fresh air.” Aston said after telling me everything. “Ast, you need to go home and sleep.” I said, putting my hand to his cheek. “You need to go back to work.” “I’m not leaving you.” He said quietly. “Aston, I’m awake, I’m gonna be fine, I promise you, go home, get some rest, go to work tomorrow, you need a break from here. I’ll be fine, I’ll get Ellie to stay for a few hours or something.” I said back. “You’re not gonna let me win this are you?” He laughed quietly. “Nope.” I replied, closing my eyes. The last thing I felt was this lips on mine, followed by the quiet bang on the door. I feel back into a deep sleep.