Part 71

Scarlett’s POV. 

“I’ll go and get him now.” Maddie said quietly, standing up. I looked around the flat while she was out of the room, I wasn’t expecting this, it was terrible, I felt for her, I really did. “Here he is.” She said, carrying him into the room. “Can I hold him?” I asked. Maddie handed me to him. He was beautiful, he wasn’t much bigger than Faith, he had the same bright blue eyes, it was hard to believe this little boy was my brother, but just a few weeks older than my daughter. “What’s his name?” I asked. “Jayden.” Maddie replied proudly. “He’s beautiful!” I exclaimed. “I do love him, he’s all I got now.” She sighed. “I’m here, anytime.” I said back instantly. We sat in silence for a few minutes. I was holding the brother I’d always longed for in my arms, except it wasn’t the same. I was 24, he was a few weeks old, it wasn’t how I’d always imagined it.

I could feel Maddie staring at me, as if she was trying to figure me out. “I know your face from somewhere, I’m sure of it.” She blurted out. “You’ve probably seen me in magazines, or newspapers, I’m engaged to Aston Merrygold.” I replied. “I knew your face was familiar. I guess this, my lifestyle, my home, is a lot different to what you’re used to.” Maddie sighed. “It is.” I admitted, not knowing what else to say. “Things won’t be like this forever though, you’ll get back on your feet soon.” “I doubt that.” She said sadly. “You’ve recently had a baby haven’t you?” She added. “Yeah, a little girl, Faith.” I smiled. “She’s gonna have such a lovely upbringing.” Maddie sighed. “So will Jayden.” I replied. “It’s what I dream of.” She said sadly, smiling weakly. “Look, let me give you some money, just so you can get back on your feet.” I blurted out. “No, I couldn’t possibly do that, I could never repay you!” Maddie exclaimed. “Please, just take it, he’s my little brother.” I said back. “Scarlett, the offer is very kind of you, but he is my son, I’ve lost everything I have, please, just let me have my independence, it’s one of the only thing’s I have left.” She replied. “If you won’t take my money, please, let me give you some baby clothes, we have more than enough, we don’t need half of what we have, we bought clothes for a boy and a girl, we didn’t know what Faith was going to be, please, just take them, it’s the least I can do.” I babbled. “That would be very kind of you.” Maddie replied. I could hear the gratitude in her voice. I stayed a little while longer, holding Jayden, Maddie was grateful for the company. “I have to go now, but I’ll keep in regular contact, that’s if you don’t mind?” I said cautiously. “Of course I don’t, he is your brother.” She said back, walking me to the door. I opened the door. “Scarlett?” Maddie said quickly. “Yeah?” I answered. “Thank you, you know, for not being mad about this whole situation, many people wouldn’t be this way about this, just thank you.” She said quickly. “Anytime.” I replied. “Thank you too, for letting me meet Jayden, he’s a little stunner!” “Yeah he is, isn’t he.” She smiled weakly. We said our goodbyes. As soon as she shut the door, I ran down the stairs, back to Aston. 

I got into the car, and slammed the door shut. “Woah, you took your time! I was just gonna come looking for you actually.” Aston exclaimed. “What happened?” I filled him in quickly. “But Ast, she can’t live like that, she can’t bring up a child in them conditions, it’s not safe, the place is crawling with drug addicts!” I babbled. “Did you offer her any sort of help?” Aston asked. “Yeah, I offered to lend her money, but she wouldn’t take it. She’s fiercely independent.” I sighed. “But she did accept my offer about the baby clothes.” “It’s not much, but I guess it’s a start.” Aston replied. 

“Aston, it was horrible, the conditions that my baby brother, Maddie, are living in, it shouldn’t be like that, they don’t deserve it.” I said sometime later, what had happened that day was haunting me, I felt bad. What had I done to deserve all I had in life? A loving, caring husband to be, a beautiful baby girl, money, shelter over my head. “Try not to let it get to you.” Aston replied. “I can’t help but let it get to me, knowing that nothing’s going to change, I need to do something about it.” I sighed. Aston didn’t reply. I thought hard. I needed to do something to help Maddie to get out of her predicament, but what could I do when she was so fiercely independent?