89. a bunker

jughead, madison and betty went over to the hospital to go and visit ben

they went inside and saw his mother was sitting beside him.

"hi, mrs. button. we just wanted to see how ben was doing." betty said as they closed the door behind them.

"how do you know my ben?" she asked them.

"uh... from school." madison said.

"and he and i used to worked at the twilight drive in." jughead said.

"oh." she said with a calm smile.

"how's he doing?" betty asked.

"he's stabilized, but he hasn't woken up yet." his mother told them.

"do you know what happened in the woods, mrs. button?" betty asked her.

"no. news always been a bit of an odd duck, you could say. kept to himself. especially after his piano teacher was murdered. but this summer, he became friends with-" she began.

"dilton doiley." betty said.

"that's right. it's like he became a different person." his mother said.

"jug, look." madison whispered when she saw something  on the doorknob.

it looked like some sort of mini voodoo doll.

"secretive, sneaking out at all hours. having these horrible nightmares." she went on.

"mrs. button. do you know what this is, or how it got here?" jughead asked her.

"maybe that nice girl left it." she replied.

"someone else came to visit?" betty asked.

"another friend from school. i don't remember her name. she wore a bow in her hair." mrs. button said as the three teens looked at each other.

ethel muggs.

"jughead, madison, betty. look, i don't care how keller ran things when he was sheriff. but i won't let a couple teenagers compromise an active murder investigation." sheriff minetta said as he walked into the room.

"and if this is an active murder investigation, you might wanna start by letting the rest of the town know." jughead said.

"sheriff minetta?" one of his deputies said.

"what, henderson?" he asked.