96. new gang

madison watched andrew as he went back to sleep and she was left in a room full of silence.

that was until she turned her head and saw jughead came back.

"maddie. i saw him. the gargoyle king." jughead told her.

"oh my god, just now?" madison asked reaching out to her boyfriend.

"yeah. as i was walking home. i followed him into a clearing. maddie, there were others. there's like ten of them. they looked like his disciples. like they were worshiping the king." jughead explained.

"jeez." madison said.

"they had on these masks. like they were a gang. a gang of gargoyles." jughead said.

"we should go after them, jug." madison said.

"no. we shouldn't push our luck. not until we know more." jughead said as she nodded.

"who could they be?" madison said.

"joaquin. joaquin told kevin about a new gang. and then joaquin ran into the woods." archie spoke up and they saw he had finally woken up.

"we already know that warden norton is playing g&g. and joaquin was doing his dirty work." madison said.

"it's just another piece of damning evidence that warden norton could be our gargoyle king." jughead said.

-

in class, madison was sitting between cheryl and veronica

sheriff minetta was grilling everyone about where they were archie was.

but once he started talking to josie, she ended her having a seizure.

after class, madison and jughead were sitting in the blue and gold office going through yearbooks.

"another seizure? as if things weren't crazy enough." jughead said.

"i know. first betty, then ethel, then josie? what's the connection?" madison asked.

"speaking of connections with warden norton dead, there goes our theory of him as the gargoyle king." jughead said.

"maybe not. look." madison said passing jughead the book in her hands.

"there's the connection between our parents and warden norton." madison said.

"warden norton was the rrotc instructor of riverdale high?" jughead asked.

"yeah, the same year our parents started the midnight club. this just proves how much our parents are hiding from us. and all of this started with the midnight club, jug. featherhead was the first blue lipped death on record. i'm gonna show this to betty." madison said.

"while you do that, i'm going to rally the serpents. we have to find joaquin. as nortons accomplice, he's probably our best shot to figure out what was going on inside nortons mind." jughead said before kissing madison's forehead.

-

fangs, sweet pea and danielle had joaquin tied up to a tree and they saw jughead show up.

"look what we found on him." sweet pea said holding up a gargoyle mask.

"so, you jumped ship for the gargoyle gang? you have a lot of explaining to do." jughead said as they took the cloth away from his mouth.

"so why don't we start with why you shivved archie, instead of protecting him, like you were supposed to?" jughead said.

"the warden said i had no other choice. you don't know what it was like in there, jug. you do anything to survive. for me, it was being the wardens pawn. a chess piece. in some ways, he was a pawn, too." joaquin said.

"what the hell does that mean?" danielle asked.

"i saw him with these game cards that told him what to do. whoever sent them wanted archie and andrew dead. from the moment they were locked up, they were already marked." joaquin explained.

"marked with what?" jughead asked as he drew something on himself.

"this symbol... the warden branded on archie's hip? what does it mean?" jughead asked him.

"no, no." joaquin said.

"pick him up." jughead ordered fangs and sweet pea.

"no, no, no. just- hey, just- just stop. just stop." joaquin said.

"i'm not gonna let you hurt anyone i love, joaquin. please, what does it mean?" danielle said as they locked eyes.

"sacrifice. it means that- it meant that archie had to die. and soon after so did andrew. look, i'm sorry, jug. i know he was your pal. i-" joaquin began.

"oh, they're alive, joaquin." jughead told him.

"then it won't be for much longer." joaquin replied.

"who's giving warden norton his orders?" jughead asked.

"no." joaquin said again.

"okay. i don't think you understand." jughead said pulling out a knife.

"no, dani, please make him stop." joaquin said.

"i love you joaquin, but i can't let my family get hurt." danielle said with tears in her eyes.

"i can't let you go until you talk." jughead told him.

"i saw them meet once. but you know him, jones. the man in the black suit." joaquin said.

"hiram." danielle whispered.

-

then later that day, danielle, fangs and sweet pea saw a tarp covering a chair.

jughead pulled up on his motorcycle and he pulled off the tarp.

under it was joaquin's dead body. danielle let out a gasp and she saw his lips were blue and he had the sacrifice symbol on his forehead.

"no." danielle said as fangs pulled her into a hug.

"joaquin." jughead said before covering him up again.

"who do you think did it?" sweet pea asked.

"uh... i don't know. the gargoyle gang, or hiram lodge. it could be anyone." jughead said.

"that symbol on his forehead." fangs said.

"sacrifice. i have to get to archie." jughead said.