90. our children

betty, jughead and madison finally found the bunker

"wow. dilton really was a hardcore survivalist." jughead said.

"you can say that again." madison said.

"i'll go first." jughead said before they all climbed down the latter and walked through the tunnel which lead inside.

"good god. it's like the inside of a philip k. dick novel." jughead said as they all looked around.

"i think this is all... that game they were playing." betty said.

"yeah, gryphons and gargoyles. looks like ben and dilton were in pretty deep." jughead said.

"what does all of this mean?" madison wondered.

"i'm not sure." jughead replied.

"i wonder if ethel was playing with them. guys. doesn't that look like the thing that came at us last night?" betty asked seeing a bunch of drawings on the wall.

"yeah, the gargoyle king? he's also featured prominently on this copper coin. guys." jughead said when they saw a picture with chalices.

"oh, god." betty said.

"drink from the correct cup." betty read.

"blue lips, cyanid. it was a challenge. all apart of that stupid game they're playing." jughead said.

"pick the chalice that's not poisoned, and... win, i guess? so, it was suicide?" betty asked.

"maybe. or something even more insidious." jughead said taking photos.

madison went to look under the bed and she saw someone and they hissed at her making her scream.

-

"you know how worried your folks are?" jughead asked the kid.

"doesn't matter. i'm supposed to stay hidden in the bunker, until master doiley comes back." the kid said.

"jeez. kid, haven't you heard? diltons not coming back." jughead said.

"that's a lie." the kid said.

"no, it's not. dilton is... dead. i'm sorry." betty told him.

"were you playing gryphons and gargoyles with dilton?" jughead asked.

"i was his apprentice. he was teaching me so i could eventually join the game." he told them.