十一

Eleven
Updated: June 25, 2020
Edited: September 5, 2021

"No. He just told us to keep an eye on you. That was all, nothing about continuous watching." Donghyuck's voice faded out toward the end as his head turned towards Jeno and Jaemin.

"I-" Renjun turned his head from the three younger princes to the knocks that sounded loudly through the silence. "Who is it?"

"Your Highness," Yinxi called. "Her Majesty told me to remind Your Highnesses that the dinner will be starting soon."

The prince stared at the door. How did the time go by so quickly? Wasn't I still trying to pick out a new set of robes?

"We'll be on our way," Donghyuck responded.

Renjun stood up first. "Xiao Yue, come," he ordered the animal, who had started napping.

She lifted her head up at the prince.

"There's good food," he smiled at her.

She immediately stood up onto her paws, her tail wagging at the mention of food.

"Come." He waved at her to follow, which she did happily, trotting behind him as Renjun left the room.

When he was gone, Donghyuck snarled at the two remaining princes, "What did you two do? What are you planning to do to him?" There was viciousness in his voice. A viciousness neither Jeno nor Jaemin were used to.

"Hyuckie," Jaemin began, standing up and grabbing the older's shoulders.

"Don't 'Hyuckie' me, Jaemin," he hissed, throwing his hands off.

Jeno immediately grabbed Jaemin before the younger fell over.

"What you are trying to do are unacceptable things! Things that caused Injoon-hyung to be exactly how he is now!" His eyes shifted angrily at Jeno. "Don't think you're off the hook either." He flicked his robes around and left, following Renjun out of the room.

The two crown princes were left alone, wallowing in confusion and guilt.

✾✾✾

The sun had begun setting by the time the princes arrived at the Hall of Blazing Sunlight. The hall was large, but it was second only to the Hall of Eternal Blessings. This hall was the second option if the other was unavailable, which usually always was. The Huang Emperor was constantly in meetings with his councilors and officers, so the only times they ate in the larger hall was when the emperor hosted the feasts. But, either way, Donghyuck didn't mind. Both halls were both equally alluring, and both have their own unique appeals.

He followed behind the wolf-dog in front of him. His gaze staring at the wagging tail of the creature, somehow finding it intriguing. He didn't seem to understand how tails worked. Well, yeah, it was basically an extended spine, but he didn't understand how the animal controlled it. Was it like moving a finger? Or like tilting your head? Was there some kind of-

"-Donghyuck!" Renjun had snapped him out of his wandering thoughts.

Donghyuck glanced up from the animal and saw that he was already in front of the princesses and the empresses. His eyes widened for a split second and immediately went into a bow without wasting another minute.

After a moment, he straightened himself and glanced around the glamorous room. It was significantly smaller but wasn't noticeable. It was similar to the other large hall, of course, but there were quite a few differences—the large pillars that stood throughout the building were painted a dark purple had subtle carvings of dragons and phoenixes, there wasn't a platform which held thrones, and there was a carving on the dark stone floor which depicted two dragons in a dance.