Just Give me a Few More Weeks

Matt's POV: After saying I only needed a few more weeks before I could come back as Captain full-time, I knew that Gabby was mad by the glare she gave me. I walked into my office and then sighed. "Gabby, we are still going to be working the same shifts. Maybe I can just work the fire from the outside like Boden." Boden turned to look at me and nodded.

"That can work. Matt doesn't have to go in as Fire Captain." Gabby then looked at chief. "Did he ever have to go in as Fire Captain?" Boden just shook his head. "No, everybody up to Fire Lieutenant has to go in. However, Firehouse Captains do not have to go in." Gabby then looked at me and smiled. "Then that works. But, can we wait until I am cleared to do heavy lifting?"

I turned to look at Boden, agreeing with that. "Right now, I am doing the heavy lifting part of the job. That's the only way her doctor would clear her to return to work so soon. I mean, it's only been 7 weeks since she gave birth." Boden nodded. "Of course. But, when her doctor clears her...I want you back on truck and I want you to find a permanent replacement for Brett. Since she is on bedrest for pregnancy and maternity leave, she is out for almost a year."

Gabby then smiled at that idea. "So that means, I can have a permanent replacement I like?" Boden nodded and smiled. "Want me to give you a list of floaters you can choose from to make your permanent partner until Brett comes back?" Gabby nodded. "Yes please!" I chuckled and smiled when she said that before walking into my office to get ready. Boden then walked away to print off the list quickly before we left. "Let's pack up, grab the list and then we can go."

Gabby nodded and smiled before going to pack up her stuff, ready to go home.