It's For Firemen Only

Matt's POV: When I heard Hermann yell that it's for firemen only, I was both offended and ready to pull rank. "Antonio, go ahead and grab some because that's not true. Gabby isn't a fireman and she can eat it. And if he tries to stop you, I am pulling rank Hermann." Hermann then looked at me and nodded. "Sorry Captain." 

I nodded and looked at him. "It's okay Hermann. And sorry for the awkwardness about this situation. I mean, right now...I am a paramedic yet, at the same time I am 51's full-time captain. I don't know where that leaves us." Boden then walked in. "You still have seniority Matt. The only reason you aren't PIC instead of Gabby is because she's your wife."

Antonio then turned around to look at my boss, deciding to speak up on my behalf. "That's not true Boden and we both know it!" I just let him talk while he grabbed food. "Gabby is more qualified than both you and Sylvie combined to be PIC. For crying out loud, she led a team in Puerto Rico with Doctors, Construction Workers, Lawyers, Paramedics, Firemen and Police. She was the head of the mission. Sorry but, if ranking was based solely on experience...Gabby would be #1 even though you've been here longer."

Boden looked at the both of us and nodded. "That's a very good point. Sorry about that Matt. Shouldn't have said anything like that. And by the way Antonio, that food is for the community. Hermann, we are a community firehouse remember?" He nodded and then shut up since instead of it being me (his full-time Captain), it was Chief who was the only person in the entire firehouse who outranked me.

That's when I looked at Antonio to see he was checking his phone. I decided to get up and go talk to my brother-in-law while he was eating in the kitchen rather than joining me at the table.