Chapter Sixty Two

Nats POV

There is no sound, no movement, no air. I am stuck in this moment where nothing is happening. I'm frozen in my spot. I think time has stopped but I know that's not true.

I don't feel anything. My body is numb. My heart stopped beating. I'm not breathing; my lungs have ceased inhaling and exhaling. The life has been sucked out of me and it's gone to wherever Spencer is.

Then, all of a sudden, the air is brought back into me; my lungs working once more and my heart pumping blood to my organs. The air still feels suffocating.

The world comes ramming into me, bringing with it the reality of everything. Now my heart is beating too fast; my lungs trying to supply my body with too much oxygen all at once. There isn't enough air. There's too many sounds.

My body isn't working but it's no longer stuck to its spot; instead I collapse to the floor. I'm barely registering any of my surroundings.

Wanda is in front me. Her mouth is moving but the words she's speaking are lost to me. Somehow my body knows better than my brain and whatever she's doing is bringing my equilibrium back. Slowly I hear what she's trying to say.

"Nat? Nat! Natasha! Can you hear me? Are you okay? What happened?"

Now I have to form words? I don't know how to, "uh" take a breath. "Um.." another breath. "I.. to go."

It's like my mind and body finally recognize each other and I'm off the ground, racing to the garage. I know Wanda is trying to yell to me, maybe she's even following me.

All I know is that I have to get out of here as fast as possible. I need to be in the air and on my way to Spencer faster than she can teleport.

I don't remember getting here, but I'm in the quinjet, powering it up, ready to take flight. I do see Wanda talking to Tony, maybe trying to catch me before I take off, but it's too late. I'm airborne before they're in reach.

I know Wanda could have stopped me; I don't know why she didn't. Maybe she just realized I needed to do this. Hell, maybe she read my mind.

At this point, I don't give two fucks.

I have much more important things to focus on.

Just hold on Spencer, please.

——————

I did come to my senses and realize I didn't know where they were or what really happened, so after about half an hour of just flying mindlessly, I call Yelena.

"Nat! Nat.. I am so sorry. I know you don't..."

"Yelena, where are you? Where is she?" I try to calm Yelena enough to focus. I'm trying to keep myself sane.

I hear her sobs that I'm sure have taken over her whole body. I want to fall into that myself, but I can't. Not yet. Not when there's a chance.

"She's um.. we're at mom and dads. They're.. they're trying everything they can but I don't.."

She's all over the place, but I get enough information. I set the jet towards their house and at the fastest speed possible. It still won't be soon enough.

"Yelena, I am on my way to you."

"Wha.. how?"

"I stole the quinjet," I say it plainly but I know it'll cause some panic.